6.5 Creedmoor build 2K budget

savage 12fv 6.5 creedmoor $419
rebarrel to criterion $330
McMillan stock $600
tract optics 3-15x42 $750

Ohh, and I would build reloads for him. I have plenty of experience there.
Sorry, re-reading my first post it sounds like I'm telling YOU about choices and ethics...What I should be clearer on is that I think you should guide this relatively new elk slayer down the correct path.

Over the years I have heard more than one hunter, especially here in my home state of Michigan, say things like "Oh, elk are actually easier to hit because the kill zone is so much bigger than it is on a deer..." and "Yeah, my 308 is magic on deer, it'll be fine for elk..." All true if you know what you're doing when hunting at longer ranges and higher elevations! But elk are one helluva lot tougher to kill...and magic on a 150 lb critter at 50 yds doesn't translate very well to elk anywhere I've hunted them.

So - talk to this friend! Don't help him make mistakes when you're in the right place to teach him a better way...and there are so many "right" choices that focusing on one questionable option just doesn't make sense. Good that you'll be loading for him, so that whatever caliber he does choose you can help steer him into proper choices like the right bullet, etc. for the intended target.

The creed would not be my first choice. However, in Europe and Africa the 6.5 sweede has killed tons of big game. The creed is not too far off ballistically. Of course back then hunting was about getting close not seing how far away you can shoot from and still kill it. I like gilkisons idea above if your not packing the rifle far. Otherwise a savage.

This is probably my first post, but the 6.5 cm/long range hunting is out of control. Hunters need to learn to hunt, not be snipers. There is too much wounded game by those that don't have the skills to pull off the shot. Perfect example, an acquaintance said he shot an elk at 500 yards. When asked how many shots it took, he responded 2. When he left the room, his son said it took 6 shots and the guide had to finish off the animal. This goes on way more than admitted. Be practical and shoot only to 'your' ability, not to what is read on line, and use enough bullet. As said in a previous post, 6.5x55 Swede is used all over the world on elk, moose, etc, with great success. But these people are hunting and getting within practical hunting range that they can handle, and are not trying to be snipers.

6.5 CM is awesome for ringing steel at 1000 yards or for deer sized game and smaller inside of 500 yards, but it's not the be all end all cartridge that a lot of people think it is. I have one and I I love it but I'd never use it on elk. I'd use my .280AI or 30-06 or if I was building a new dedicated elk rifle I'd be thinking about a magnum in 7mm, .30, or .338. I think a .270 win is the minimum for elk at modest ranges.

I couldn't agree more! Even with large capable magnums at long distance if one misjudges the wind by only a few mph then they are going to wound that animal. It's only ethical to know your limits and get as close as you can for a clean kill. For some maybe they know their limit is 700 plus yards but for most people it's less a lot less.
Like jemba said, learn to hunt.

How many elk you guys think have been killed with a 270 130 grain bullet. Not much difference energy wise in a 270 with a 130 and a creedmoor with a 140. Both will get you around 1500ftlb's at 300 yards with the 6.5 having better sectional density there for penetrating better. Nobody says anything if somebody is elk hunting with a 270 but god forbid they bust out a creedmoor.

How many elk you guys think have been killed with a 270 130 grain bullet. Not much difference energy wise in a 270 with a 130 and a creedmoor with a 140. Both will get you around 1500ftlb's at 300 yards with the 6.5 having better sectional density there for penetrating better. Nobody says anything if somebody is elk hunting with a 270 but god forbid they bust out a creedmoor.
The thing to keep in mind here is that this is a rifle being specifically built for an elk hunt. First sentence in the original post. You build something to meet the intended purpose as efficiently as possible. If I'm building a rifle for the specific purpose of hitting a milk jug at a mile, I'm not starting with a muzzleloader. If I'm building an elk rifle, I'm not starting with a 6.5 or 270 for that matter. It's not a matter of "can" a light caliber rifle do it...

Guess I'll chime in. I hunt tons with my 6.5x284 and I can tell you from experience that shots have to be perfect; very little margin for error. However my 338 edge has a substantially larger margin of error simply due to terminal energy; might have something to do with that 300gr slug!
Convince yourself that there are more suitable cartridges for elk. Then go convince hour buddy. It's not worth wounding and inhumanely taking a animal. Just to satisfy a ego over "I can do it" under perfect conditions which hunting rarely is.

I am a huge fan of the 6.5. Own several in different flavors from the Creed to the 6.5-300. That said, friends don't let friends shoot elk with a 6.5. The exception may be if that's the only rifle someone owns and you make due with what you have. Been said several times already but to ensure the horse is dead - 6.5 as a dedicated elk cartridge is the wrong tool for the job.

Money in my pocket and had to pick a rifle for this setup (leaving funds for decent glass) the Browning X-Bolt, Model 70 Win or Tika T3X would be decided by a 3 sided coin toss. Plenty of good options out there depending on what the priorities are (brand loyalty, design, looks, feel, modability down the road, etc.).

If recoil sensitive, I would push my friend to look at the 308. Short action, light recoil (especially with a brake), every bit as accurate as the 6.5 at hunting ranges and the 30 cal smack is a lot better on elk than the 6.5. The results of a 180 trophy bonded tip from a 308 on a mature bull was exceptional. Another beauty of the 308 is there are no lack of options in quality hunting ammo to meet every need. *end sales pitch*

Ya but you own a corvette so your judgement is terrible to begin with so disregard this guy. Lol

Find a cheap donor Rem 700 action, and get a carbon fiber stock on closeout at Stockys, and a long thin Keiger bbl. That gives you $1,000 to play with scopes.

I have a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Leupold VX6 2.5-12 that shoots 1/2 moa out to 300 yards with Factory 143 Grain ELD-X bullets. Haven't had a chance to shoot any farther than that yet but I am into the set-up for about $900.00. Not the prettiest thing in the world but boy does it shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.