6.5 Creed replace the .308 for hunting?

Wow a lot of information, a lot of knowledge, and lot of opinions. I still like my rem700 30-06 lol. I can find ammo at any Walmart, gas station, or 7eleven. Whether its 308 or 6.5 does it really matter as long as you have good shot placement? Just a thought.

I have a Savage FCP-SR in .308, one of the older ones in digital camo, (24" fluted bbl.) back before Savage caved to the PC Police and deep-sixed the Indian Head logo. It's got plenty of life left in it but I've got it scopeless at present, sitting in dry-dock in one of my safes while I play around with my 6.5s. Anyway, I've often thought of how I'd rebarrel it when the time comes and I think I'll keep it in .308 if, for no other reason, than to promote diversity.

I know most competition shooters have switched over to the 6.5 CM from other cartridges mainly for the much better cross-wind performance and flatter trajectory.

SO, let's say you have a nice .308 hunting rifle you like but the accuracy has dropped off and it needs re-barreling. Would you re-barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor? I face this question with my .308 Savage 99 C.

Eric B.

No.

D570D064-41D7-4E16-89FC-F7B443A6BC4A.jpeg Other than prs the 6.5 creed isn't seen much in competition. It's definitely not a contender in any benchrest shoots and is really just a miracle of advertising.

Rum Man,
I am still amazed at the accuracy of my Gen 1 RPR. And I and further amazed at how Ruger could give us so much for the price. It still has more good features than any other competitor in the under $2,000. bracket.
Eric B.
P.S.
MACH 1, Then whycome so many hunters have chosen the 6.5 CM??
It began as as a purely competition cartridge. But then hunters saw its inherent abilities in less wind drift and good trajectory (in fact virtually identical trajectory to a 180 gr. .300 Win mag). And a 143 gr. 6.5 CM has more energy at 300 yards than a 150 gr. .308.

Last edited:
Rum Man,
I am still amazed at the accuracy of my Gen 1 RPR. And I and further amazed at how Ruger could give us so much for the price. It still has more good features than any other competitor in the under $2,000. bracket.
Eric B.
P.S.
It began as as a purely competition cartridge. But then hunters saw its inherent abilities in less wind drift and good trajectory (in fact virtually identical trajectory to a 180 gr. .300 Win mag). And a 143 gr. 6.5 CM has more energy at 300 yards than a 150 gr. .308.

A couple quick internet searches made it look to me like the creed energy didn't catch the 308 until about 500yds. Neither would be my choice for 500 plus and an animal won't know the difference inside of 500 so if go with the flatter/lower recoil 6.5 cm.

Rum Man,
Eric B.
P.S.

Bc hunters like everyone else like to have the newest popular things to talk about.

And your cherry picking numbers. The 140 range bullets are the heavy high bc bullets in 6.5mm and the 180 in the 300 wm is middle of the road. Put a Berger 215 into your ballistic calculator like I load and you'll see the difference. The 6.5 creed should never be compared to the 300 win mag.

The 6.5 creed is simply a older 260 Remington that's shorter with less case capacity that has the ability to be more consistently cycled out of a mag.

Bc hunters like everyone else like to have the newest popular things to talk about.

And your cherry picking numbers. The 140 range bullets are the heavy high bc bullets in 6.5mm and the 180 in the 300 wm is middle of the road. Put a Berger 215 into your ballistic calculator like I load and you'll see the difference. The 6.5 creed should never be compared to the 300 win mag.

The 6.5 creed is simply a older 260 Remington that's shorter with less case capacity that has the ability to be more consistently cycled out of a mag.
You forgot that the 6.5C is designed with a better twist rate. Kinda like the old 243WIN vs 6MM REM SNAFU.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.