6.5 Creed replace the .308 for hunting?

I'll throw this in for some addtl laughs. I have 4 .308s (Rem 742 (best shooting auto I have ever seen - shoots from 125gr to 180gr sub-moa) Husqvarna bolt action - sub 1/2"moa, M1A-A1 and a Wby Vanguard threaded hvy carbine) and 2 .264 win mags Rem Sendero and Mtn Rifle. So, I wouldn't walk across the street for a 6.5cm and those first three 308s, I wouldn't trade any of them for 3-5 cm's. Buy and shoot what you like. :)

I know most competition shooters have switched over to the 6.5 CM from other cartridges mainly for the much better cross-wind performance and flatter trajectory.

SO, let's say you have a nice .308 hunting rifle you like but the accuracy has dropped off and it needs re-barreling. Would you re-barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor? I face this question with my .308 Savage 99 C.

Eric B.
Nope, If it was a bolt gun with BDL bottom metal and I really wanted to shoot a 6.5 bullet I would just chamber it in 260 Remington otherwise I would keep it a 308.

I'll throw this in for some addtl laughs. I have 4 .308s (Rem 742 (best shooting auto I have ever seen - shoots from 125gr to 180gr sub-moa) Husqvarna bolt action - sub 1/2"moa, M1A-A1 and a Wby Vanguard threaded hvy carbine) and 2 .264 win mags Rem Sendero and Mtn Rifle. So, I wouldn't walk across the street for a 6.5cm and those first three 308s, I wouldn't trade any of them for 3-5 cm's. Buy and shoot what you like. :)
Really? A 742 that's accurate? I'm incredulous

It's hard to beat 308 for hunting deer unless you like goin in the woods in the dark trailing blood. That being said I had a 6.5 PRC custom rig made and it is very accurate and, with proper shot placement, usually produces DRT.

I would do the 6.5 Creed. Everyone of them I have built shot hornady ammo lights out. It has less recoil. Better ballistic profile. Fits really nice in a short action even with heavy bullets. Will kill anything in the 48. Tons of factory ammo. Easy to tune. I personally have shot a 3 inch 10 shot group at 1000 yards in competition. If you hunt shorter range absolutely nothing wrong with the 308. I killed my biggest buck with one. Shep

... you have a nice .308 hunting rifle you like but the accuracy has dropped off and it needs re-barreling. Would you re-barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor? I face this question with my .308 Savage 99 C.
Eric B.
Depends on what animals and at what distances... I would think a 338 Federal might be a better choice inside of 400 yards... But if you're prairie dog punching, go CM.

I would do the 6.5 Creed. Everyone of them I have built shot hornady ammo lights out. It has less recoil. Better ballistic profile. Fits really nice in a short action even with heavy bullets. Will kill anything in the 48. Tons of factory ammo. Easy to tune. I personally have shot a 3 inch 10 shot group at 1000 yards in competition. If you hunt shorter range absolutely nothing wrong with the 308. I killed my biggest buck with one. Shep

3" 10 shot group at 1000yrds?

Now that is 1000 yrd benchrest winning shooting. a small group of shooters can accomplish that. And with a creedmoor. Awesome!

But i will stick with my .308 hunting rifle. My favorite for over 50 years.

I know most competition shooters have switched over to the 6.5 CM from other cartridges mainly for the much better cross-wind performance and flatter trajectory.

SO, let's say you have a nice .308 hunting rifle you like but the accuracy has dropped off and it needs re-barreling. Would you re-barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor? I face this question with my .308 Savage 99 C.

Eric B.
My friend George shot a doe antelope with a 6.5 Creedmoor using a 140 grain bullet. I watched the hit through a 6 to 18 scope on 18 power. I saw the bullet hit just behind the foreleg. We lost the doe because it was able to still ran. I know that the 6.5 X 55 is used in Europe for moose and red deer (or stag) but I wouldn't use it. I also know that several of the gentlemen writing on this blog lost elk last fall because the 6.5 CM didn't kill effectively. I'd say that if you're going to hunt with this rifle, stay with the .308 and use the Nosler ballistic tip in 180 grain, or the Sierra Gameking in the same weight. If you barrel with a 24 inch barrel and shoot a 175 to 180 grain bullet, you can get high BC, high sectional density and a velocity of around 2600-2650fps which will give you a good trajectory, higher impact, a larger wound channel, and much better penetration on big game. Also, keep in mind that the bullets for the 6.5 are mostly target bullets with their limitations where hunting is concerned, while most of the .308 bullets are designed with big game and terminal performance in mind. I'd stay with the .308.

Eric B.

Eric B.

The 6.5 might be good for target shooting but I would rather use the 270 and 308 for hunting.
I don't know what range your hunting at but I took a Remington 700 S.S. 308 and dropped it in a Magpul Hunter stock then put a Vortex Scope on it for a friend and he shoots consistent , accurate shots at 350+yds .
It's more than enough to hunt Deer or Elk with at those distances with more downrange energy on impact.

Last edited:
I'm totally with KyCarl as I, too, am fed up with the 6.5CM hype. I'm sure it's a fine round but I don't feel it's necessary. As for shooting at an animal upwards of 500 yards I feel it is too risky on just injuring the animal. There are, and have been, cartridges available for many years that can accomplish what the 6.5CM does. People are all too quick to jump on the bandwagon of something new. This craze reminds me somewhat of the .40 caliber pistol mania. It was something everyone thought was the magic bullet. It took time but it has fallen out of favor and after speaking with several gun dealers they sell very few of them anymore. As they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I say unequivocally, .308.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts