Hunting with the 6.5/06

I have a 6.5-06 AI custom built by Kirby Allen. One of my favorites. Currently shooting the Berger 156 at 2.950 fps with RL 26. Wouldn't hesitate to use on elk on out to 800 - 900 yds.

The re26 and a 140gr can hit 3000+ with a 26" barrel. Just tried the same exact load in my new/longer barrel and had 3120fps with magnum cci 250 primers

I shoot elk, deer, antelope with mine. 143 Eldx running at 3150 (4000ft elevation) using RL26. Mine is AI 26.5" barrel and I use Lapua brass. This elk was taken by my boy
C39B2935-B5B8-45DA-A8AF-8BF5D54E1F57.jpeg
at 265 yards and only traveled about 15 yards before dropping.

I have had a 6,5-06AI for about 6 years now and wish I had had one back in the 70s and 80s
What a great caliber and an absolute rocket with the bullets and powders we have now
I use IMR 7848 S.C. and love it my rifle is a rem 700 action with a Shilen 26 " barrel and using an Axiom stock I have tried some other powers but
Don't get the groups with them but I love the 6.5
Caliber and I also have the 6.5 Grendel in a AR platform

So I have just finished building a 6.5/06 with a 26" Lilja barrel and timny trigger and was wondering what animals you hunt with your 6.5/06 please post pictures of your successful hunts with this round and what bullet you use or if you just wanna brag about your build let's see the success
Built mine 14 years ago. Springfield action with ER Shaw 24 " stainless. Used for deer, elk and antelope. Got the idea to build it using P. O. Ackley's book. It loves BT 120`s and very consistent with 140's and h4831. It is a great combo for my use. You will enjoy it.

Don't forget varmints. The 6.5/06 is deadly on the small stuff with 95 grain Hornadys and 100 grain Noslers and the high velocities available and low recoil make even the lighter loads effective and fun to shoot.

Dogz from NW montana .I have to agree with you. I have found a batchof old 7828 not the ssc but old and it shoots a 140 gr remington corelock at about 3010 with 52.o grains and the primers are still rounded edges and no crating on the primers.. now my rifle is a shaw 25" on a remington action. you know all 6.5/06 are different. I been shooting them since 1975 love them. I feel people want then to = the 264 it just won't do that as far as hunting it is the same a a 270 winchester with a bit more range. I also found the AI version not to do any better. again P O Ackley you cannot improve anythibg below 284 dia. in a 30/06 case. not the 257 roberts/6.5 is a different animal and equal to the 06 wildcat. anyway I kow I will always shoot the 6.5.

Oddly one of the most accurate 6.5 slugs I've found is the 85 Sierra HP. The little bugger shoots amazingly well in every 6.5 big little or small I've tried it in. It's fantastic on rodents, and will do just fine on chest shots on small big game like deer/lopes.

The only problem I've found with the 85 is that if a barrels beginning to get a bit froggy(rough) in the throat that the bullets won't stay together. Generally they'll exit the barrel go about 20 yards downstream and go puff!

Mine is the AI version with a heavy barrel. While I've taken antelope with it, that rifle was purpose built for 1,000 yards plus. It is too heavy to drag up and down the mountains hunting elk, but I may use it someday for spot and stalk mulies in the sage.

Thinking about building a 6.5PRC on a barrel-less Savage 110 with magnum bolt face that is sitting in my safe. Pretty much the same as a 6.5-06 and I'd use it on elk in a heartbeat.
Is the allure of the 6/5-06 simply the cost of the case and primers?? The 264 Win. Mag. appears to be at least equivalent in 120 gr. and 129gr. loads.

I have had a 6,5-06AI for about 6 years now and wish I had had one back in the 70s and 80s
What a great caliber and an absolute rocket with the bullets and powders we have now
I use IMR 7848 S.C. and love it my rifle is a rem 700 action with a Shilen 26 " barrel and using an Axiom stock I have tried some other powers but
Don't get the groups with them but I love the 6.5
Caliber and I also have the 6.5 Grendel in a AR platform
Thanks for the post and now you have my attention. Can you provide the type of rifling, rate of twist and any other specs. re: you're Shilen??

Thanks for the post and now you have my attention. Can you provide the type of rifling, rate of twist and any other specs. re: you're Shilen??
what I have been running is the 6.5-280ackley slightly more case capacity and you can just neck down 280 ackley brass using a 26 inch barrel with a 8 twist

I want to build one someday. I have liked that round for 20 years. I have a 6.5x55 though so it is not a front burner item for me. I would not hesitate to elk hunt with a 6.5-06 though. Scandinavians hunt moose with 6.5x55 so 6.5-06 should do quite well too up to that size animal with the proper bullets.
I like the 6.5 X 55 finished my build last year and it will sling the heck out of 140 grain pills. I have also loaded up some 160's just to give them a try. Its' not that far behind the 6.5 X 284 that I shoot in matches out to 1,000 yards. Along with the 264 mag that I use for Elk & Deer I may add a 6.5-06 for my next build.
Ace

in the 6.5/06 regular round I have very similar results with Reloader 25 and H-1000.a real good starting point on powders is the 25/06. same case and only .006 larger bore.. the 270 bore is .014 larger thus not a good comparison. This is why I use 7828 because it hummed the 125's in the 25/06. I know that getting 3000 with the 140 fb bullet can happen and 3050 with the 130 is possible . 1-9 twist and 25"bbl. primers look good case Miro is good easy to reload and easy to enject. but you know this is my rifle and they are all different . My old mauser 6.5 liked 100 gr bullets. that is hard to explain and the 85's but it is possible I am sure .

I like the 6.5 X 55 finished my build last year and it will sling the heck out of 140 grain pills. I have also loaded up some 160's just to give them a try. Its' not that far behind the 6.5 X 284 that I shoot in matches out to 1,000 yards. Along with the 264 mag that I use for Elk & Deer I may add a 6.5-06 for my next build.
Ace
Is the load data for the 6.5 - 06 that much different from the 264 Win Mag?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.