What's wrong with the 25-06?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Everything has some limitation of some sort. Personally I like the 257 Weatherby better and it is an easy shooter but that's just me.

That's really true, everything has its limitations. You just have to understand what they are and what your goals and needs are for the desired application or should I say as many applications as may be desired.

fnsane - Welcome to the forum.

I personally love a 25-06. It's not my elk gun but I have taken 2 elk with it at 60 and 468 yards, both with one shot each. I did it because I know I can. My 25-06 is super accurate, I practice with it to 600 yards and am confident it will do it's job if I do mine. And there lies the rob, the gun irregardless of caliber is only as good as its operator.
What ever you pick, practice, practice, practice, and don't take a shot you haven't practiced.

I personally love a 25-06. It's not my elk gun but I have taken 2 elk with it at 60 and 468 yards, both with one shot each. I did it because I know I can. My 25-06 is super accurate, I practice with it to 600 yards and am confident it will do it's job if I do mine. And there lies the rob, the gun irregardless of caliber is only as good as its operator.
What ever you pick, practice, practice, practice, and don't take a shot you haven't practiced.
As many of us have noted, there is no substitute for proper shot placement.

You do have to have the necessary energy to get the job done too, but I've seen few animals run off when the shot is properly placed.

Yet another vote for the quarter bore from me. I've had at least one in my stable as long as i can remember. 120gr. partitions work impressively on black bear and 115 VLDs are deadly antelope, whitetail pills. That being said, the right brake can make a whole lot more gun really pleasant...or make a 25-06 allow you to see your impact on target thru the scope!

The 25-06 is an excellent choice for everything short of elk, with that said it will do the job if proper bullets and shot placement are used. GET THE 25-06!!!!!gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.