6.5 Creed replace the .308 for hunting?

I shoot a 308 and 6.5cm bolt guns and have a 99 in 308.
Without a free floated barrel I'm not sure your will have the consistent poi to utilize the 6.5 improved winddrift.
And if ur wanting to flatten ur trajectory up I'd drop to a 6mm.
I'm gonna measure the magazine on my 99 but something tells me you have a longer mag than 2.8. Their might be a better option than either to squeeze a little more performance out of the gun.

To stay in the spirit of a classic though, I'd rebarrel in a 250-3000 and shoot the 131 blackjack bullet
Now we're cooking with gas.!

Hee, hee. cohunt, do you anticipate a long thread? ;o)
Here we go...... @FEENIX enter left stage with popcorn
Sorry, late in the game ... I am across the pond with a little R&R with the family.

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

I've done a good deal of shooting and hunting with the 6.5, the 7-08 and .308. Enough at this point that I believe the results are practically indistinguishable in the field until you get to the edges of their capability. At typical deer hunting ranges, there's not enough difference to worry over.

Close range performance is more a matter of bullet selection than cartridge. The ELDX is somewhat softer than an AB, but since you're talking basically a deer rifle- it's likely moot. Both cartridges have enough industry support that essentially any bullet you could ever want or need is loaded by someone.

I'd pick the one you like the most and roll with it.

I know most competition shooters have switched over to the 6.5 CM from other cartridges mainly for the much better cross-wind performance and flatter trajectory.

SO, let's say you have a nice .308 hunting rifle you like but the accuracy has dropped off and it needs re-barreling. Would you re-barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor? I face this question with my .308 Savage 99 C.

Eric B.

Eric,

This boils down to personal choice and purpose. We all have differences of opinions and what's in our inventory list. For this reason, I do not ask what to build, as you can see why :D. Between the two, I'd go with the 6.5 CM. Good luck!

Ed

If it's a savage 99 I would leave it as a 308 for nostalgia purposes.

The 6.5CM is an excellent hunting round. My buddy shot a doe at 200 yards with it. It left a tennis ball sized exit wound. No idea what type of bullet he was using. I know it was factory since he doesn't reload.

Yuppers,,, a old Savage 99 won't benefit from the barrel swap to gain any thing...

Switch it over at your choosing if that suits your fancy,,, other than that it's what the shooter wants.

I'm a 30 cal dude since I shoot close range in the 35 feet on out to 220 yards for critters "normally".

Much further then that on the iron and paper... Ha...

Good luck my friend

Honestly I ask why use either. Leave the fancy sports cars and come back to the old work truck. The 30-06 has worked great for years. But if you like the short and squat go for it. The 6.5 is a light fast Ferrari. Ahem lmho

Just pointing out if your going to look at any these you might look at old reliable.

I know most competition shooters have switched over to the 6.5 CM from other cartridges mainly for the much better cross-wind performance and flatter trajectory.

SO, let's say you have a nice .308 hunting rifle you like but the accuracy has dropped off and it needs re-barreling. Would you re-barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor? I face this question with my .308 Savage 99 C.

Eric B.
I rebarreled mine in .284 Winchester but I'm a stickler for the underdog. For a hunting cartridge it's hard to beat, but it's also hard to find. I dropped a muley where it stood at 460yds with it last year with a 150 gr long range accubond. As far as energy goes I'd trust it out to 600 for deer but I rarely need that kind of range where I'm at.

The 99 is such a classic rifle and I would leave it in its original form. Too bad the barrel is shot out. I have quite a few of them in my firearms collection and rarely shoot them anymore.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts