6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC Enough/Effective for Elk?

IMO, if there is any doubt in your mind about shooting an elk with a 6.5 creedmoor or 6.5 PRC, then don't because you don't want to be second guessing yourself out there or ruining a hunt of a lifetime. go big with the proven 300 wm or 300 weatherby or 7rm and don't look back. it's real easy to sit behind a computer and say any centerfire with a good shot will do the trick when there are a lot of variables to making the perfect shot on an elk and at long range.

Last edited:
IMO, if there is any doubt in your mind about shooting an elk with a 6.5 creedmoor or 6.5 PRC, then don't because you don't want to be second guessing yourself out there or ruining a hunt of a lifetime. go big with the proven 300 wm or 300 weatherby or 7rm and don't look back. it's real easy to sit behind a computer and say any centerfire with a good shot will do the trick when there are a lot of variables to making the perfect shot on an elk and at long range.
Understood! Thank you!!

Gday gbett308
I don't know how to say this in a low key manner
But please don't take the following personal as I kinda agree & why I love my 375's but I'm so impressed with the 6.5 I've got & used ( I'll keep my total critter numbers with that 6.5 out of this but over 4 figures now have been secured in well under a year ) & my aim these days is to find a pills weakness or limits as then you know the limits one is up against in the field that ultimately will occur to someone yes the variables

I do agree it's easy to sit behind a computer & type up as I'm doing now but I won't say I'll make the perfect shot as I understand reality with my lack of skills in preforming the perfect shot time after time
For me I'm not ashamed to say I miss or made a bad shot

To me to add to your points The key is bullet construction as you use the wrong bullet even in those 300 or my 375 & your in for a bad day when the non perfect shot occurs & I'll take a very well balanced constructed 6.5 every time over a larger caliber & pill that has more weaknesses
As my old mentor said " just keep shooting Fordy it will come "
Oh he was right on more than one occasion

But get a well balanced constructed pill & on the trip of a lifetime im one for the biggest calibre one can shoot accurately over the various conditions that exist in the field

Once again I mean no disrespect to you just trying to fine tune

Cheers

This question from the OP is loaded ....

My thoughts :

Can a Chevett race a Mustang ...well of course ....will it have a chance of Winning.....possibly but most likely not .

As we all know it's the bullet placement.

When you can stuff a 300 gr bullet in the case mouth .....I will try a 6.5 for Elk . JMO

Why do they call it a 6.5 need more ??
Its in plane English ! How could one argue that !
But that's why we have so many choices of Caliber's. 😎😎

This forum promotes Long Range correct, so no 6.5 For my Elk Hunting .
Your mileage might be different.

Rum Man

Hello,
I have two rifles that I am deciding on which one of them to make my main go to rifle, one is a 6.5 CM and the other is a 6.5 PRC. The only concern that I have about them is, is that are either 6.5 CM or 6.5 PRC effective on elk? I have heard a lot of people go back and forth regarding 6.5 CM for elk. But, I am having a harder time finding info regarding 6.5 PRC on elk. I prefer the 6.5 CM rifle to the 6.5 PRC. So, I guess my real question is 6.5 Creedmoor effective on elk??

I have found a 7mm rem mag that I like, but would rather not spend the cash on something while I already have something that works just fine.

Any and all info and wisdom are appreciated! Thank you!
I understand that you prefer shooting the CM over the PRC. However, shooting preference is different for a more ideal chambering for elk. Of the two, my preference is the PRC. I do not own a PRC, but a 6.5 CM and a .264 WM built explicitly for the 156 Bergers. The short answer is yes, the 6.5 CM will work on elk; know the range limitation of your load.

My unwritten rule is 1500 FT-LBS and >minimum FPS of the bullet to expand effectively at the point of impact. Run the 6.5 CM and 6.5 PRC numbers and see where this threshold falls. Yes, I know a few members, including bullet makers, do not believe in energy transfer/dump or whatever terminology is being used to get the point. There is a significant difference in my WAG, like my load, between my 6.5 CM and .264 WM. Believe it or not, like it or not, the laws of physics are there to be appreciated, not ignored. Norma has an excellent video capturing energy transfer.

Shot placement and the NUT behind the trigger (and I am not referring to just pulling the trigger, i.e., making the right choices in chamberins and load/bullet combinations) remain the most significant factors. The decision always falls to the end-user and the consequences associated with it. Good luck and happy, safe hunting.

This question from the OP is loaded ....

My thoughts :

Can a Chevett race a Mustang ...well of course ....will it have a chance of Winning.....possibly but most likely not .

As we all know it's the bullet placement.

When you can stuff a 300 gr bullet in the case mouth .....I will try a 6.5 for Elk . JMO

Why do they call it a 6.5 need more ??
Its in plane English ! How could one argue that !
But that's why we have so many choices of Caliber's. 😎😎

This forum promotes Long Range correct, so no 6.5 For my Elk Hunting .
Your mileage might be different.

Rum Man
LOL! Spoken like a true Rum Man. The 250/300 is simply bad-arse pills on elk. Dang, a 300g in .26 would be looooooooooonnnnnnnnnnng. 😇

I actually got started in long range with a Remington Stainless Bull barrel 300 Rum topped with a Leupold Vx3 6.5 x 20 x 50 .
I used factory ammo , Nosler 210 Ablr and I did my dope by counting the Clicks !
No muzzel brake , we shot 75 or 76 rounds that day . I was the only one on our 5 man team that hit steel at 1400 yards ! That day started things rolling for me ! Now Countless $$$ and Rifle set ups I have pushed myself to 3027 yards on Steel !
This Forum and the Guys on here have been a great Help that's for sure !
Thanks Guy's!!
I need to get back out and try further . I'm getting tired of saying that Number ! 🤣

Rum Man

The math ain't mathin' on that one. I agree the cm is a 400 yard elk round in most cases. The prc is faster and stretches your distance a bit, but 600 yards difference? nope not even close.
For my unwritten rule, it is only a 200Y difference. I used Berger's ammunition in 6.5Cm and 6.5 PRC, loaded with 156 Berger.

Attachments

• IMG_2198.jpeg
    IMG_2198.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 59