6.5 prc enough gun for elk

horse-animals.gif

I have taken several Elk here in Wyoming with my 6.5X284 and 140 grain Berger bullets. The ballistics are nearly identical to the 6.5PRC. Assuming that you place your shot where it needs to be the 6.5PRC will also be perfect for your hunts in Hawaii.

Good Hunting
You know people over look that bullet. Agree it is a match bullet and I would say I'd rather have a mono. But. Something about that 140 kills. I have not shot an elk with one. But I have with lost of 250+ pound hogs , deer and mule deer and it's lights out on any of them. Back 30 years ago I used a 270 and 140's for elk every year with no problems. But then again I wasn't shooting over 500 yards either.

George Gardner, the guy who developed the 6.5prc, says it's perfect for elk. Doubt he knows anything....
They were killing everything on the planet with the 7mm Mauser forever. Bell was killing elephants with a 6.5x54mm Mannlicher-Schonauer and hardball.

Last edited:
They were killing everything on the planet with the 7mm Mauser forever. Bell was killing elephants with a 6.5x54mm Mannlicher-Schonauer and hardball.
A borrowed 7mm Mauser was in my hands as a kid when I hit on the biggest Bull Elk I had ever seen till then. They work.

..a .22lr will kill one but that doesn't mean we should be using one, myself the answer is NO, I'm not risking sending a boy to do a man's job...my minimum would be .284 Dia, my preference is .308 or better yet, . 338...pick your own case size to move it, just make sure you use a good heavily constructed bullet...