Barnes 145 lrx enough for elk?

They work well in my 7RM, found these in an elk that was 300yds away. Started at 3,100 fps.

That said, I've been experimenting with 120 in my 7x57 and 284 winchester (though my 284 is a lever and have OAL constraints)

Personally I'd be very careful with shot placement with this light of a bullet. I know guides who would ask you to shoot their rifle over allowing me to hat combination, so many elk have been hit with combinations like that and no one knew it was a hit! Personally I would rebarrel and shoot a 177 gr Hammer or heavier bullet at that capacity.

Tried the 145 in my 7stw. The 140 TSX grouped better so that's what I shot this year. 1/2 moa out to 600.

Shot one of this years Antelope at 500 and the wound was "extreme". I believe "light for caliber" is the way to go when using Barnes.

The reason I started this thread is that although I really loved the 168 LRX and it's BC, I've read in the 7Stw thread that it won't be stabilized in less than an 8 twist bbl. Mine is a 10 twist Memtb, I agree with your comments.Maybe I should try to find a handful of 168s and try them. Every rifle is different!! If unsuccessful, I know the 145 LRX is fine. Thanks for all the help folks!!
Easier yet...call the manufacturer and they will gladly tell you if the 168 will stabilize with 1:10.

Ask this guy what he thought of the LRX from a 7 Rem Mag
upload_2019-5-12_20-35-27.jpeg

Unfortunately no, I took a job here. I will be out your way for bow elk season. Send ya a pm later.

Personally I'd be very careful with shot placement with this light of a bullet. I know guides who would ask you to shoot their rifle over allowing me to hat combination, so many elk have been hit with combinations like that and no one knew it was a hit! Personally I would rebarrel and shoot a 177 gr Hammer or heavier bullet at that capacity.
I've been shooting a 7RM for 3 decades and never used d anything heavier then a 150 grain partition until federal came out with the new
TLR, IN those 3 decades I've hunted elk deer bear moose caribou fall sheep antelope and several other species, the partition has done its job every time from 25 to 725 yrds one shot and done, if the animal was wounded then it wasn't
The rifle load combo it WAS The guy Behind the rifle, Making a shot he/she wasn't capable of making and never should have been allowed to take.

Its where you put the bullet that counts. And if your a cool headed shot you will be OK. My dad always shot his elk with a 270 Win 130gr Sierra then the 130gr Parition, all handloads. A great shot at running elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.