6.5 prc enough gun for elk

808hoghunter

Ok the largest caliber I now own is 6.5prc … considering doing an elk hunt for the first time . Would I be better suited doing a 7prc or possibly even 300prc … I've never left the Hawaiian islands to hunt before so I'm thinking a 300prc might be a bit much on axis deer and pigs after… I chosen those calibers due to inherent accuracy of cartridges, I'll be using factory ammo as supplies for reloading suck here. Thanks

It is all about shot placement. Put it in the boiler room with reasonable distance and they will take a ride in the pickup.

Don't expect them to drop like a sack of potatoes though…and as long as they are still standing, keep shooting. Good luck.

By the way, I took one at 350 yards with a Berger 140 and 6.5SAUM.

It is all about shot placement. Put it in the boiler room with reasonable distance and they will take a ride in the pickup.

Don't expect them to drop like a sack of potatoes though…and as long as they are still standing, keep shooting. Good luck.

By the way, I took one at 350 yards with a Berger 140 and 6.5SAUM.
Good to know , here depending on the area we always try high shoulder shots , these **** axis deer are tough to find when they run off into low thorn brush you'll likely never to find em without a chainsaw..

**** a part of me was secretly wanting everyone to say go bigger 🤣
Not that theres anything wrong with buying another rifle :)

Your initial post led me to believe you wouldnt have much practical application for a larger caliber back home. But wahtever you decide the real answer to your question is the 6.5prc is plenty for elk.

Good to know , here depending on the area we always try high shoulder shots , these **** axis deer are tough to find when they run off into low thorn brush you'll likely never to find em without a chainsaw..
I would not recommend a high shoulder shot with this cartridge based in my experience, but that is just me.

Here is a very small, immature bull elk getting hit with 3400ft lbs of energy for reference. Same shot with a 6.5 PRC would have about 2400-2500ft lbs. Well placed shots are key, but elk dont give up easy. I would still shoot an elk at probably 500 yards with a 6.5 PRC under the right conditions. But be prepared when he doesn't just fall over lol. If you're hunting country where you can't keep an eye on him for a minute or so after the shot, you could be in for whirlwind of emotions and tracking.