Thoughts on Hammers on elk (out of a 6.5 CM)

I have a friend in western Montana who used to always shoot 300 WM and 180gn bullets for elk. Now that he is older (and weaker) like me, he has progressed to the 6.5 CM and 131gn Hammers, and has taken 2 huge elk bulls in the past 2 years with no issues, one at 370yds, the other at 490yds. He loves this rifle combo.

Great info, thx for chiming in

I would do a 130ish to a 140ish bullet weight and keep the distance to about 5 to 600 yards if you have practiced at that distance and are comfortable shooting that range. Yes I have one in the closet as well. But this year it will be a heavy 210ABLR out of a 308 win and with this combo once I get everything tested I would definitely consider taking an elk at 800 and deer at 1K. Bullet should according to low velocity gel test still smush up at the lower velocity. Retained energy is 1070 and velocity is 1530fps. Should work. So same for the CM need to know what you working with.

I've got 600 pieces of brass, my Hammer's showed up last week (amazing customer service by the way), I have the action etc now I just need my barrel to show up. Hurry up and wait, great not my strong suit....:(

Dad used to tell me, "the problem with you is that you treat life like a 100 yard dash:)

Hey Steve what are your thoughts on 6.5x47 running 109 Absolutes at 3250?

Thanks

Jay
I think it would be great.

In about a month I will be posting results from my Creed running the 85g Hammer Hunter from the 20" suppressed barrel at 3540fps on plains game in Africa. We will get a few under it, so I can see for myself the bullet performance, and if it is like I think it will be, I intend to shoot a trophy eland with it.

If I had time to switch my tikka's barrel from 6.5 creed to 6mm creed before hunting season I would. But I don't so I'll have to slum it with the 6.5....

For science, should I intentionally aim for the onside shoulder this elk season?

Well in the name of science I did hit a bull on the onside shoulder with a 140gr eldm. Yardage was about 60 or 70yds, quartering towards me. I was actually lying in the middle of an open park and he walked directly at me from timber.

20221011_160457.jpg

20221011_160640.jpg

Completely destroyed his shoulder at muzzle velocity