Thoughts on Hammers on elk (out of a 6.5 CM)

No experience and you've never shot one and yet your telling people to stay off the shoulders eh...? Sorry to bosh you so hard, just being feisty this am...

For what it's worth I've punched thru the blade with my 22/250 and 63 Sierra's and 60 Horn HP. Real world punching thru the shoulder blade isn't the big bad spooky thing that people like to make it up to be...just my experience

IMO, the need to stay off shoulders is something that's been parroted for eons, starting mainly by gun writers who had just enough experience to be dangerous! I know of a lot of High school kids who have more experience in killing elk than most gun writers:)
So what's the safer bet, tell people to do something that I'm not confident will work or give advice based on my actual experiences? What I said was meant to be less about elk and more about Hammer bullets. If you think it will go through the shoulders then that's great, respond to my comment and tell the OP that. Doesn't need to turn into a dick measuring competition.

If you've actually taken elk with a 6.5 CM and Hammer bullets please chime in a let me know how it went, ranges, and which bullet you used.

Many thx

Back to the original question, note the part about if you've actually taken......

Penetration has not been an issue for Hammer bullets. Even when I used my 17 hornet with 21g Hammer Hunter for taking two Impala, a steenbok, and a porcupine. Frontal shot on Impala penetrated all the way to the small intestines resulting in a 50y death run that lasted a few seconds.

I just sent in a Hammer order, for some bullets for my .204 (think it was the 39 grain, might could be fun on lopes this fall as well yotes this winter), and several for the 6.5 CM to come.

Thx for all you do Steve!

Wife's 6.5 creedmoor pushes 124hh 2950fps. I just might run them this year
I am getting 3000 FPS with my creedmore using Sta Bil powder. It appears I wasn't pushing the 124 HH bullets fast enough earlier to get optimum accuracy. I started out at 2800 with this bullet and it was a big pattern at 100 yds. As I got to 2900 it got better and 3000 is much better. No pressure signs encountered so far. I wouldn't hesitate to take a 300 yd shot at a bull with this load.

I am getting 3000 FPS with my creedmore using Sta Bil powder. It appears I wasn't pushing the 124 HH bullets fast enough earlier to get optimum accuracy. I started out at 2800 with this bullet and it was a big pattern at 100 yds. As I got to 2900 it got better and 3000 is much better. No pressure signs encountered so far. I wouldn't hesitate to take a 300 yd shot at a bull with this load.
Some rifles shoot everything and some seem to respond better when pushed a bit. I think it has to do with how loose the bore is.

Some rifles shoot everything and some seem to respond better when pushed a bit. I think it has to do with how loose the bore is.

So what bullet would your pick be for elk out of the 6.5 creedmoor from either a 124 hh or 110hh

Food for thought: Colorado allows 6mm greater than 85gr for elk. The 6.5CM is adequate, but know your limitations.

Shot placement is key. A bad hit with a bigger/faster bullet doesn't make it better. That said, a bigger/faster bullet can stretch your ability to make a quality hit at longer ranges, physics tells us this through kinetic energy. There is a point where personal accuracy and bullet energy are considered. Someone could be accurate with a red Ryder BB gun at 100 yds, buts that not adequate energy for hunting.

I have hit game with good shots, things end quickly, and have hit them not so good, which I am not proud of. If you hunt enough, it happens. Realize the bench isn't the hunting setup. Practice, practice, and be confident.

Good luck all! Hunting season is creeping up! Whatever setup you have, be accurate and set personal limitations as you see fit.

If I had time to switch my tikka's barrel from 6.5 creed to 6mm creed before hunting season I would. But I don't so I'll have to slum it with the 6.5....

For science, should I intentionally aim for the onside shoulder this elk season?

Just got back from the range. Confirmed 3000 FPS from the Creedmore was under 3/4" and 3025 was about 1/2" for 5 shots. Bolt is beginning to be sticky, so I need to look for some better brass which I think will help with these hotter loads. This is beginning to be a great $235 rifle!! Although I haven't taken any game with the 124 HH, I believe this bullet at these speeds suits my needs for anything up to and including elk.

I have a friend in western Montana who used to always shoot 300 WM and 180gn bullets for elk. Now that he is older (and weaker) like me, he has progressed to the 6.5 CM and 131gn Hammers, and has taken 2 huge elk bulls in the past 2 years with no issues, one at 370yds, the other at 490yds. He loves this rifle combo.