6.5 CM 124 Hammer Hunter Elk Necropsy

Gday cjs88
Glad to see 6.5 taking down some elk. I'm currently building a 6.5x55 and have doubts even though it is more than capable. Would is have as much success on a bull?
That I can't confirm but I can confirm it's bigger brother the 125hht does a incredible job on some pretty tough critters in the way of asiatic buffalo & id assume the elk are not upto the level of these guys as I've not hunted elk but when the hammerboys were over I saw the look of your kidding & then reality hit ( another story but I was so glad we got this bull after a cockup from a Barnes pill & finished with a hammer )
103D4546-6A70-4673-9253-FCC79F2475BF.jpeg

The 6.5 x55 is a fine round & will serve you well

Cheers

Gday wachsmann
Looks like there may have been a pedal or two that broke off and penetrated as well. Really impressive. I'm sure you can get that 124 grain moving pretty fast also. I'm currently going to be doing some load workup on the 142ABLR or a 135 Berger in my 6.5 Creed. Wont see near the velocity as a lighter bullet but I think it will still do a decent job. The mono are great for penetration though.
The thing that differs in the way of hammers they are not tied to the need for speed like many other monos & the hht is a step ahead again

Hammers are designed to shed petals not retain so I'd hope they did or that's a failure in my eyes yet as good as some who claim that's a really good pill that retains its petals or some of them so if that's as bad as hammer gets it's not to bad then as shedding monos are superior @ killing over mushroom

Which leads me to your last line
They are not only great for penetration they are superior to Berger & ablr

I wish you the best with your choices just watch where they open & how they react to bone vrs ribs or between & other variations of angles & velocity impacts

Those choices I'll not doubt will do a good job when things go right it's the other that will show up related to various resistances we encounter in the field

Just something to watch
Cheers

Congratulations to Eric on his successful Cow Elk hunt. Here is his field report. "I took one shot at the cow at 375 yards. The bullet impacted middle of the body straight up the front leg. Upon impact the cow dropped her head and collapsed. I have attached some pictures of the entry and interior damage." He used a Browning 6.5 Creedmoor and the 124 Hammer Hunter bullet. Congratulations!!!

View attachment 420468View attachment 420469View attachment 420470View attachment 420471
What's the muzzle velocity?

Glad to see 6.5 taking down some elk. I'm currently building a 6.5x55 and have doubts even though it is more than capable. Would is have as much success on a bull?
I helped my Son's best friend with seting up his 6.5cm with scope and ballistics about 6 years ago using high end factory amo and since he has kill 5 bull Elk from around 100yrds to three of them at just over 500 yrds.!

Gday reemtyj

Fordy, hell of a big bull for the 125hht !!!! 🤝👍👌🍺🍺🍺

I need to apologise as I've lead everyone astray or a minimum I've not relayed correct information as that particular bull was finished with a 30 cal or should say put down on the run by my mate as I was on the video
the 338 Barnes only took one lung on a good broadside shoulder shot
( the Barnes did a boomerang )
The reference to how tough these asiatic are is that particular bull after the first 338 shot took a couple of 500 nitro 570 gr solids that he staggered but regained his feet & took off again might be able to see one of those 50 cal up the coight 😜

The reference should've been to the hammerboys on seeing how much that bull took in the way of punishment & distance traveled
& should've been clearer on the 125hht

side note that's a Arnhamland bull & they are smaller than the floodplain bulls

we took some medium size buff ( upto about 1600 lbs ) with the 125hht but never did do a big floodplain bull as we were testing prototypes in 338 & 375 hht plus solids in the 375&50 cals which I regret now but that 6.5 125hht pill will secure a big floodplain bull & that is one I look forward too

I'll spare the rest of the details
Sorry for derail & incorrect information

Gday Flyguy

Fordy, you finished it with a Hammer bullet, or just a regular hammer? I knew you were tough, but...;)
🤣🤣🤣
Should have been a little bit clearer right 😜
Tough hmmm I've been known to get out of the odd paper bag 🤪🤪

Cheers