6.5 CM 124 Hammer Hunter Elk Necropsy

Congratulations to Eric on his successful Cow Elk hunt. Here is his field report. "I took one shot at the cow at 375 yards. The bullet impacted middle of the body straight up the front leg. Upon impact the cow dropped her head and collapsed. I have attached some pictures of the entry and interior damage." He used a Browning 6.5 Creedmoor and the 124 Hammer Hunter bullet. Congratulations!!!

View attachment 420468View attachment 420469View attachment 420470View attachment 420471
Congratulations to the hunter. Thanks for posting this.

Gday cjs88

That I can't confirm but I can confirm it's bigger brother the 125hht does a incredible job on some pretty tough critters in the way of asiatic buffalo & id assume the elk are not upto the level of these guys as I've not hunted elk but when the hammerboys were over I saw the look of your kidding & then reality hit ( another story but I was so glad we got this bull after a cockup from a Barnes pill & finished with a hammer )
View attachment 544897

The 6.5 x55 is a fine round & will serve you well

Cheers
Congratulations on a nice bull. Thanks for posting this.

So watching this I think there is a failure possible on there part. I think they should have had 2 bullets of similar sectionals density with similar velocity if they wanted to compare the 2 different calibers. I don't even know if you could get a 308 going fast enough to even find a common comparison. I think you would have to download the 6.5 creed. Just my thoughts and then see what the difference in 🖊️ is. Not that I hate either one case I own both of them and like shooting both. I just think it's not a fair comparison.

Did some quick looking and it would take a 190 grain 30 cal to match a 140 6.5 cal on sectional density with the 190 grain being a slight bit more. 140 I believe was .287 and the 190 was .290. Now the hard part is how to get a 308 to push the 190 grain bullet to 2700fps. I mean it could be done but that would be some pressure.

Looking at your photos, did the bullet travel down the length of the body and stop in the hindquarters? We shoot the 124s in my son's Creedmoor too, and it's been a great deer bullet. We haven't used it for elk. Oddly enough he's killed his elk with a 308! 180 grain Elite Hunter at 2640 fps. One and done at 393 yds. 🤷‍♂️