6.5 Bullet for Africa plains game

Like Dean2, I have been many times also. With cull hunts and trophies probably 150+ animals. I have always used heavy for caliber triple shocks, accubonds or partitions. I would strongly suggest getting Dr. Kevin Robertson's "The Perfect Shot II". You will be surprised the vital organs are not where you think they are relative to north American game. Much further forward. FWIW the PH's all love triple shocks and A-frames. Enjoy your hunt, you will have the time of your life!

I used the VLD hunting in the 180 gr. In the 28 caliber that one has a great reputation. I am right at 2900 fps. In Zambia we went to a another property for a hartebeest. We had another PH that knew that property so over that trip I had 3 different PH's. All of them wanted to know what bullet I was using. All were impressed.
Bruce

I used the VLD hunting in the 180 gr. In the 28 caliber that one has a great reputation. I am right at 2900 fps. In Zambia we went to a another property for a hartebeest. We had another PH that knew that property so over that trip I had 3 different PH's. All of them wanted to know what bullet I was using. All were impressed.
Bruce

It is always a good feeling when they ask you "What the fook did you you shoot him with?"

After 40 years of taxidermy I cannot recommend a 6.5 for any animal greater than 800lb. I have seen far to many animals that had to be finished off by the guide service simply because the client didn't shoot a weapon with enough knock down power. As for anything larger than 2000lbs I have never seen a successful one shot kill with anything less than a .458. Most large African game is still taken with a nitro.

Trying to decide what bullet to load for 6.5 PRC to go to S Africa. Will have 375 loaded with 300 Swift aFrame for where appropriate.
Planned to use 156 Oryx but initial tests are not promising as accuracy is not acceptable but do have another round of testing with different powder.
Take a bigger gun that's not big enough for clean kills

I was in South Africa two years ago with my 6.5 x 284 using 140 grain Berger's elite hunters. Took a beautiful Kudu at 408 yards, an Impala at 256 yards, a Nyala at 210 yards and a huge Warthog at about 100 yards all with this bullet. Three of the floor hit the dirt upon report of the rifle, the Kudu went maybe 20 yards before piling up. I would not hesitate to use this rifle and bullet combination again. I am shooting the 156 grain Berger's at 3050 fps in my 6.5 PRC right now and I would gladly take it to Africa for another plains game hunt. My hunting partner was using a 26 Nosler and he was shooting the 130 grain Berger's. He took six animals all DRT including two Kudu bulls. Make a good shot, the Berger's will do there part. Just my opinion from my experiences.

Trying to decide what bullet to load for 6.5 PRC to go to S Africa. Will have 375 loaded with 300 Swift aFrame for where appropriate.
Planned to use 156 Oryx but initial tests are not promising as accuracy is not acceptable but do have another round of testing with different powder.
What distance are you shooting?

Take a good look at the 140gr-class monometal hunting bullets. They do as well as 200 grain classic lead core bullets but typically penetrate like crazy too.

That means you'll have a decent wound channel for the plains game and the penetration one might need if surprised by a dangerous critter.

Joseph Von Benedikt used a 6.5X55 loaded with 129 interbond loaded to 3000fps to kill two reedbucks, two Sable bulls, three Warthogs. All were one shot kills. I think any heavy bonded or monometal bullet like 130 Accubond, 127 LRX, 130 TSX, 129 interbond, 140 Accubond, 140 A-Frame, 156 Oryx, 160 Weldcore would work in the PRC appropriately loaded

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.