Africa perfect rifle for elephant,buffalo,plains game?

I'm not sure I know enough to make this a good question, but here goes. Sights on a dangerous game rifle are as arguably important as action type, and caliber selection. Reviewed this thread and probably a reflection of our age- express sights, and low powered scopes get mentioned a fair amount. Am I missing an opportunity to improve my system by not utilizing some of the advances-in holographic, reflex, prismatic, cq/b type sights currently available. If so which ones. I'm only vaguely aware of their presence, and know little or nothing about them so feel free to educate me.
Also if this changes the thread I can pose it elsewhere, but the intent is to perfect the African rifle.

After reading the literature and seeing the results, isn't the .416 Rigby the "do it all" cartridge when it comes to "one gun" for bloody everything? We're not talking only a ballistic table over gin and tonics, we're debating upon what works in the bush and what you REALLY want to have in your hands at that crucial moment. 9.3x62, nice; .375 H&H, better; .416 Rigby job done.

Couple of comments. I agree a 375 for plains and 450 for lion is a great combo and would recommend it but make sure first you can shoot both very well, you don't get mixed up with your subconscious reactions with shooting them, and you are comfortable caryin them for long hikes. I practiced with 25lb weights in each hand with ten reps and 5 second holds to make sure I did not tire. Not often discussed in fast action situations is the balance of the rifle and typically a double balances perfectly at about 22" from the butt. Practice fast reloading with the double. If you buy a used one, the one barrlel maybe used more than the other because of reloading after the first shot. Unfortunately I ve also seen a 375 being too much for a lot of shooting particularly for plains beyond 100yds for some hunters. Once again practice. A 416 is a great all round rifle but whereas a 375 typically will have the same poi with both solids and softs this may differ fro a 416. So if you load Tsx for first shot for buffalo, the backups with solids may have different Poi. As far as the new aiming scopes etc, should be fine as long as they do not stand up too high off the barrel because then they will catch in the bushes. I prefer about 2-3 power for buffalo when you know where they are but if in tight cover or following up open sights are better. I also agree don't be to dependent on you ph for backup

I agree that you have to be able to adapt between rifles. I've been shooting my African rigs for over 25 years plus hunt birds with an English double for 40 years. I ended up settling in a 375 H&H Whitworth Mauser with a quick detach German quick detach mount that goes on and off with no change in zero, and a fixed 4x Leupold over express sights. This rifle handles, shoots, and has the felt recoil of a 30-06 after you work it a bit. Shot a load of plains game out to 300 yards and buffalo. It worked for buffalo, but i think it's too light if the situation gets close or sticky. My 450 H&H double is a remarkable rifle. It handles just like fine English double shotgun, has the felt recoil of a 12 ga....push not kick. Everything I shot with it was flattened! This rifle
was made in 1904 and still holds 4 shots, 2 shots each barrel into 1,5" at 50 yards, the factory spec. Sold my 416 Rigby. Very accurate but too much for plains game and not as flat shooting as the 375. Ok with the big guys but i thought the 450 was more effective The recoil in a 10 pound rifle was miserable. Far more than the 450. On paper the 416 looks like a good one rifle solution, but in practice I don't think it's optimum for either. Just my viewpoint. Lots of guys swear by this caliber. In the end, for one rifle, the 375 works well. On most hunts you shoot a lot more plains game and
will want the benefits of it's handling ,trajectory, and accuracy. The PH will try to set up your dangerous game portion of the hunt to take into account the lighter caliber. That's why I prefer two guns. It makes for a more flexible shooting situation.

I am planning on returning to Africa a 4th time and plan on taking a hippo this time around. My plan was to take a 338 Lapua with a 300 SMK or a TTSX for a brain shot. This rifle is super accurate. Any thoughts from those that have hunted them? Would I be taking to light a rifle for such an animal for a brain shot? I have taken Lion and Buff with a 375 H&H and 416 Rem Mag respectively.

I am planning on returning to Africa a 4th time and plan on taking a hippo this time around. My plan was to take a 338 Lapua with a 300 SMK or a TTSX for a brain shot. This rifle is super accurate. Any thoughts from those that have hunted them? Would I be taking to light a rifle for such an animal for a brain shot? I have taken Lion and Buff with a 375 H&H and 416 Rem Mag respectively.

I have not shot one but seen them shot. If you get a "clean" brain shot, it will do the job. I probably would not use an SMK and go with a proven dangerous gamebullet designed for deep penetration. I think the circumstances would dictate whether the 338 is the best caliber. If you shoot the hippo in the water, clean shot
placement could be an issue, but you don't have to worry as much about things getting sticky with a wounded animal...unless you shoot it from a mokuro(wooden dugout). If he is on land, shot placement is easier, but a wounded hippo on land is considered as dangerous as a wounded buff. They are very vindictive. More people are killed in Africa by hippos than any other animal. I have seen trackers that wouln't be Don't get yourself between him and the water at any time! For all these reasons I would personally be a lot more confident with the 416.

Greyfox, thanks for the advise. I think I just might start shooting that 416 a bit more. It just does not have the accuracy as the 338. However, when the 416 hits the hippo's head, he should know it, even if it's not as precise.

Couple of comments. I agree a 375 for plains and 450 for lion is a great combo and would recommend it but make sure first you can shoot both very well, you don't get mixed up with your subconscious reactions with shooting them, and you are comfortable caryin them for long hikes. I practiced with 25lb weights in each hand with ten reps and 5 second holds to make sure I did not tire. Not often discussed in fast action situations is the balance of the rifle and typically a double balances perfectly at about 22" from the butt. Practice fast reloading with the double. If you buy a used one, the one barrlel maybe used more than the other because of reloading after the first shot. Unfortunately I ve also seen a 375 being too much for a lot of shooting particularly for plains beyond 100yds for some hunters. Once again practice. A 416 is a great all round rifle but whereas a 375 typically will have the same poi with both solids and softs this may differ fro a 416. So if you load Tsx for first shot for buffalo, the backups with solids may have different Poi. As far as the new aiming scopes etc, should be fine as long as they do not stand up too high off the barrel because then they will catch in the bushes. I prefer about 2-3 power for buffalo when you know where they are but if in tight cover or following up open sights are better. I also agree don't be to dependent on you ph for backup

here is something kinda interesting to throw gasoline in the fire! I read an account a few days back where a guy went to Africa with a Marlin 1895M chambered in .450 Marlin.( I don't remember if the rifle was scoped or not). He shot an Elephant with it, and it was a one shot kill. Also a bufallo, plus many other animals.. Now I'm sure he had a PH standing right by him with a 470 double just in case! Also one needs to remember that Fred Bear killed everything over there with a bow! (probably had to clean out his shorts more than once!!) Eitherway these two guys had bigger gonads than I'll ever have!

gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.