Plains Game Rifle Spec

Brown Dog

I'm toying with some ideas;

<font color="white"> ------------ </font> I'm trying to specify a rifle with short range 'grunt' but capable of reaching out a bit.

Grateful for any thoughts on the following rifle spec:

Requirement:<font color="white">----------</font> Plains game rifle, comfortable to 250m, capable of 400m. Good stopping power.

Barrel / Calibre:<font color="white">--------</font> 22" heavy fluted 9.3 x 62

<font color="white">-------------------</font> Or 24" heavier than standard 300/325WSM or 30.06.

Weight:<font color="white">--------------</font> Reasonably manoeuverable at 8-9lbs sans scope

Stock:<font color="white">---------------</font> McMillan A5

Action: <font color="white">---------------</font> Win or Rem or other (eg CZ)

Your views appreciated!

With all due respect to the cartridge, i do not feel the 9,3x62 is a 400yd cartridge. It will do everything you need and more out to 250yds but gravity really gets ahold of those fat heavy bullets beyond 250yds.

My 9,3 was a CZ 550 and I loved it. Parted with it shortly however to fund another project as getting back to Africa is doubtful since i am a teacher by profession.

Most plains game can be had at 250yds or closer.....much closer for me as I used my bow for 3 out of 4 animals. The 4th was a black wildebeest at abot 250yds.

If i were to do it again, I would feel comfortable with a 9,3x62 and limit shots to 250yds which most PHs prefer anyways. Otherwise, for flat shooting at distance I would opt for 300WSM, 325WSM, 338WM or there abouts.

JMO,
Kyle

Brown Dog,

I would have to agree, your talking about some decent hold over at 400m with the 9.3 bullets. If you want to stay in this case size, I would highly recommend something on the lines of a 8mm-06 or the 338-06.

With the new bullets on the market for the 325 WSM, this brings new life to the 8mm family. Even these are not overly impressive at 400 yards as far as trajectory but better then the 9.3mm bullets by a fair shake.

Not trying to burst your bubble, if you wanted to use a scope with multiple referenace aiming points, the 9.3 would certainly perform fine with the proper range work to set up the ranges that correspond to the reference points in the scope.

Other then that, the system looks great.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

If you want a McM A5- more power to you, BUT it is not a convenient carry stock and for African Plains Game, in Africa, you'd be the laughing stock of the camp.

Instead of the 9.3X62 why not consider the 9.3X66 Sako. It has more range than the x62 and will get you to 400M if necessary. Remember, there are some great bullets out there!

I'd prefer a 300 win mag, Weatherby, Dakota etc. or a 338 Win mag for only plains game- these will all get you to 400M+ without difficulty.

All,

Very many thanks for your comments.

Barrel / Calibre: 9.3x62 seems broadly acceptable. 400m would be the absolute shot of exception; I'd just like to know I could do it if that was the only chance offered at some amazing beast.
I would tend to choose 9.3x62 over the less common (over here) alternatives due to ammo availability.
Do you agree with 22" heavy fluted -or should I simply be thinking of heavier than standard?

Stock: Interested in the comment on stock selection. I realise the A5 is an unusual choice. Not too worried about people laughing (I've taken my AW to the hill after reds, so I'm used to that!). This is to be a left-handed rifle, and I don't particularly like the grip angle on conventional rifle stocks, rather limits my choice! I'd prefer an ambidextrous thumbhole, but don't know of one.
Any other suggestions (synthetic)?

Rimfire: The plan is for summer after next. 90% it will be South Africa. Large, Non Dangerous game.

Brown Dog
The reason I asked country, area and animals is because I went through the same thing. A friend tried to talk me into a med. to large Cal. The area I hunted was in the Eastern Cape and wide open. You could set up prone and cover some huge bottoms. I shot a 300 Win Sendero and it worked well. I used NBT's and picked my shots on the larger animals, (all went down with one shot)
When I go back to South Africa it will be further north, shorter shooting and I will use a heavier Cal. in a shorter rifle. Reason being if I see a nice Kudu at say 100 yards there may not be time to wait, like on the open plaines. I want to be able to take a hard quartering shot, and know it will work so the NBT's will stay home and the 375 H&amp;H will be there.
I think your choice will work fine for the distance described.
One last thing, the PH doesn't pay for the hunt so who cares what they think about the rifles looks, If you shoot it well, use it. At first my PH seemed concerned about the weight of the sendero. By the end of the trip he was burning up my ammo shoting rock rabbits over a canyon.

Remington 700 left hand action. SHR 970 extractor and bolt stop. Sako varmint stock. alluminium pillar/devcon bedded. HS Precision mag conversion.22" Border stainless barrel.heavey sporter contour, fluted 9.3x62 ( with 5R rifling if JR can do it in 9.3)Action coated with balnit. Tactical Intervention sling, eagle stock pack.
I'd be loading up some 9.3 Nosler 286gr partitions(BC.482 /SD .307) and some 250 gr balistic Tips ( BC .494 / SD .267) using a powder that i knew to be temparature stable in the African heat.
Alternatively i'd go for a Sako 75 action.
Why 9.3x62? because you can buy the ammo everywhere, its easy on the shoulder, its accurate, it does the job. If you take the bother and time to verify your trajectory out to the ranges you expect to have to use it, it is still effective a fair way out. I traded my 450 marlin in and went to a 9.3x62, i figured the marlin on bieng an honest 200m cartridge and it was. The 9.3 does all that the 450 did close in, but gives me another 200m of usefullness. I would honestly feel good about using the 9.3x62 out to 400m.
Sure there are cartridges that offer more,, but at the expense of what? more expence, less ammo choice, more noise and recoil. Is it always nessecary to have the fastest flattest trajectory? i don't think so..
Pete

Rimfire,

Great answer, thanks.

Pete,

Are you at work or at home?

I like that spec. Could it be done on an A5?

Not sure about the sako stock- I would rather have a steep pistol grip, hence A5 (plain jane version - no adjustable bits). Also want to side mount a biathlon sling a la AW.

Also, why the HS mag conversion? I'm aware that their mags are 'king expensive!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.