6.5-284 vs. 264 Win Mag

I did the 6.5 wsm two years ago. I would recomend it to anyone looking at a 6.5. My accuracy loads were hitting over 3100 fps with the 140 grain bullets in a 26" barrel. Most anything shot very well in it. Very easy to get accuracy with it. Incredible accuracy is acheivable with a little work. It shot so well I had it for a short time and was offered quite a lot for it because it shot amazing. I keep meaning to build another to replace it but time got in the way.

But for a hot one my two 264 STW's are way fun to shoot. They are accurate also and get 3350 fps with the 140 grain and a 28" barrel. For hunting I shoot the 130 scirroco at over 3500 fps. It is a deer/antelope machine.

What barrel did you have on your 6.5WSM? I can appreciate your STWs but they will be too much torch on the throat for my taste, I think anyway.

I was thinking a 26" bbl for the 6.5WSM also. Ideal cal for that diameter if you ask me.

6.5-06 Improved.....very close to 264WM velocity, with less powder and less finicky. 140 Bergers and Retumbo will get you 3050-3150 in a 26-27" barrel. A guy can use 30-06 Lapua brass if you want that type of brass, but its not needed for accuracy. Might get a couple more loadings though.

Bota here on the forums bought my personal 6.5-06IMP and he and his family have taken 3 elk with it this year out to 540yds with the 130 Bergers at 3175. A pretty mild load for the 130's.

barrel life is also not a major factor. I really don't expect to shoot more than 600 rounds through it in my life.

Does anyone use a muzzle brake on any of these 6.5s?

I just want the best cartridge there is. How much powder can a 6.5-284 case hold?

i ordered my 6.5 wsm from pac-nor chambered and threaded.

is this for a savage?

Last edited:
Yes, Pac-Nor threads many for Savage actions. I have built several off savages. Mine was on a rem 700 action I think. I do not have muzzle brakes on any of my 6.5's.

If you just want the hottest thing out there in 6.5 look at the best long range setups on the fourth page. That is a hot 6.5 on a 26" barrel based off the STW. Like I said my 6.5 stw is the fastest one I have done. When the case gets larger you just don't gain much because it just gets to overbore. Mine has 700-800 rounds through it and it still shoots excellent. Can't get on the range and just blast away with one though, heats up way fast. He is getting 3450 fps with the stw imp and a 140 grain bullet. I can hit 3400 with mine but my accuracy load is mid 3300's. It is one of the best long range rifles I have for deer and antelope hunting. When you get a .6+ bc going 3400 fps it talks. It is way fun to shoot. The wsm will do fine for what you want to do but if you want a hot rod, man this one shoots.

I think i would also like to build this rifle so i can carry it easily while hiking so I would like to keep the weight down. If that matters at all in choosing a caliber

The only 6.5mm caliber that doesn't torch the throat that I'm aware of is the 260.

QUOTE]

A number of European 6.5mm rounds are very gentle on throats. the 6.5x55 Swede is a favoured accuracy and moose round in Scandinavia. The 6.5x54MS made it's name in Africa and the 6.5x57 will do anything the 260 will do in a modern action. There are more but they are far more obscure to Americans.

None are magnums or exceptionally flat shooters, but capable and time proven rounds compared to the .260.

I have two 6.5s. An original 256 Newton that I shot for 30 years, and a 6.5-06 that I built to retire the Newton.

You need a long action, whether 264 Win Mag or 6.5-284, to seat the 6.5-284 bullets out of the case to fully take advantage of that caliber.

I built my 6.5-06 on a 1903 Springfield -- I am a sentimental type -- and the 6.5-06 will do anything the 6.5-284 will do. Other folks I know like the 6.5-06 improved but I went standard.

Rifle started as a 1903A4 sniper rifle that someone had sporterized but left the original WW II sniper scope on. (I sold the scope for $300)

Next I replaced the "stamped" 1903A4 bottom metal with some milled steel 1903 bottom metal.
I added a Shilen barrel (26" 1:8 twist), and had a Timney trigger installed.

Did not need to turn the bolt because the 03A4 already was turned, and I stocked it with a piece of fancy English walnut. (I am afraid that I am still a bule steel and walnut kind of guy)

I mounted a Leupold V II 3.5X10.

It seems to like Sierra 140gr Game Kings and 142gr Match Kings behind RL 22.

I don't load for max velocity, I load for max accuracy

25-06 brass is a lot cheaper than 6.5-284 brass!

I reload for a friend who has a 264 Win Mag built on a custom Mauser 98. I find it to be a finicky cartridge to reload, and as a matter of principle I just don't like to reload belted cases of any caliber although I do for friends who own 7mm Mags, 300 Win Mags, 338 Mags etc.

You will find the 6.5 caliber to be excellent. Low recoil, great accuracy, even better sectional density. That is why I built the 6.5-06 when I decided to retire the Newton, and I also shoot a 25-06 and 270 Win. 6.5-06 has the best characteristics of both those cartridges.

6.5-284 will be similair. A friend of mine is building a 6.5-284 F class on an action that I gave him and he can't wait to get it back from the smith.

Barstooler

The only 6.5mm caliber that doesn't torch the throat that I'm aware of is the 260.

QUOTE]

A number of European 6.5mm rounds are very gentle on throats. the 6.5x55 Swede is a favoured accuracy and moose round in Scandinavia. The 6.5x54MS made it's name in Africa and the 6.5x57 will do anything the 260 will do in a modern action. There are more but they are far more obscure to Americans.

None are magnums or exceptionally flat shooters, but capable and time proven rounds compared to the .260.

actually a 6.5x57AI is a fantastic round as well as the 7mmx57AI. Chamber it with a .257AI reamer, and size it with a Redding .257AI bushing die. Wouldn't hard to modify a .257AI seater as well. Forster sells a complete .257AI die set for about half of what the Redding is, and once again a piece of cake to rework (you could do it all with a Sunnen hone in less than an hour). The 6.5x57AI makes the .260 look like a 6.5 Carcano!
gary

You might look into a 6.5 dakota,10% more velocity than a 264 with 10% more powder,short action 80 grain case capacity,3500 with 140 berger,30 inch tube,great case life and better accuracy than the 264 or at least less finniky.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts