6-284/107SMK Antelope results

RockZ

I just got back from my Wyoming Antelope hunt.
I was shooting a 6-284 with 107 SMK's at 3400fps.

It is a Savage Precision Target Action, 28" Shilen Prefit Bull Barrel, and Bell and Carlson Medalist stock.

I was concerned about using a single shot, but it was nearly as fast to get a second shot off with it as it is with a repeater. With a little practice it is amazing how smooth the transition can be.

I have been very interested in how the 107SMK's would perform on game, especially at longer ranges and felt this would be a perfect test.

We were originally about 1200yds from the buck and we kept stalking closer to try to get a range.
The terrain was flat and it was 1pm and very sunny. The mirage was also very bad.
I was using a Leica 1200 and my buddy had a Swarovski.
We slowly stalked closer and closer and neither of us could get a range until 750yds.
I wasted to make a 1000yd shot but we just couldn't range it.

I dropped down with the bipod deployed and set up quickly for the shot.
Very still day 0-5mph, but wicked mirage(unlike last year where it was cold and blowing 30mph)

I only had to dial in 10.75MOA with a 100yd zero.
I shot the antelope at 750yds and it dropped on the spot. I hit him right in the crease behind the shoulder. He dropped immediately and then stood up so I shot him again just to make sure.
I wasn't sure how the bullet had performed and I didn't want him to run off.
Two quick shots on target at 750yds in heavy mirage,with a 6mm. I was pumped

Upon inspection of the buck:
I found the second shot was unnecessary as the lungs were just turned to jelly,
it was very devastating.
I recovered the bullet from the second shot but lost it in transit, it mushroomed nicely and the lead core was dislodged but still sitting on the copper core. Not sure about total weight retention but the damage was pretty nasty.

The exit hole from the first shot was about 1-1.5" in diameter. It was very impressive , especially at that range.

I feel that the 6-284, or 6-06 class of cartridges is the perfect fit for antelope. It carries 1000ft-lbs at 1000yds and the drop at 1000yds is only 17MOA with a 100yd zero.
I'm surprised more people aren't shooting them.
Recoil is very light and it's possible to spot hits without a muzzle brake.
With a brake it would have virtually no recoil be a perfect rifle for young or recoil sensitive shooters.

With the ballistic performance you get, I feel it gives the best results with the least punishment.

It gives the most bang for the buck!(I couldn't resist the pun)

I am very pleased with the results.

Thanks for reading!

RockLope3.jpg

Last edited:
Re: 6-284 Antelope results

NICE GOING! What a nice trophy. Nice looking gun too! Congrats.

Awesome shooting. What load did you use?

Primer, Brass, powder, load etc.

I have the same built on Rem 700 action with 28 inch Krieger barrel, 8 twist.

I am using 60.5 gr Ramshot Magnum @2.860" OAL w/107SMK.
It is well off the lands as well. The OAL on the lands is 2.925"so I am jumping .065! It seems crazy but that is where it shoots best.
It has a 1-8" twist.
I'm using Lapua 6.5-284 brass and Fed 210M primers.
I have an ES of 10 and it shoots 5 shots at 565yds with only 1-1.5" of vertical max.
It is a very deadly long range load.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.