6-284 long range antelope load

Brien

my uncle has one ..we were shooting it today with 95gr ballistic tips and it was only getting 3100fps with 51grs H4831.. this thing should do way better than that i would think... any ideas??? somewhere around 54+ or- grs H1000 with a 105amax sound about right?? not sure of the twist but i would say its a 9 or 10 twist 26" long (douglas) if they dont shoot right i will try 95gr berger VLD's...
Brien

H-4831 never gave me the Velocity I wanted same with H-1000. R-22 or IMR-4831 gives me 3500+ fps with 95 grain Ballistic tips and a 3 shot group in the .2's at 100 yards.I would start with 50 grains with either one and work your way up. I would use the 95 Ballistic Tip I have shot Deer out to 480 yards with them and they work great. Another Powder you can try is Varget I would start at 45 grains and work your way up. My setup is a Rem 700 Long Action with a 28 inch Hart Barrel with a 1x9 twist. Let me know if you have anymore questions I have tried lots of Bullet and Powder combo's in the 6mm-284.

Hey I shoot a 6x284.I've used H4350 for high Velocity useing 87gr V-max Fair to good accuracy.Frequent flyers though.Ubse Re19 better Accuracy weather sensitive.H4831 Same accuracy as Re 19 not as high velocity.Latelyt been useing WXR 54.5 grs with great accuracy 1/2 and some times less groups.Rare flyers.3,550 fps.However weather sensitive!!Just recently tried H1000 with Lapua 90gr and 87V-Max.57.2 grs Lapua brass.With best accuracy yet.About 3,500 FPS 26"BBL 1in10 twist Hart BBL.Seated to Rifleing lands. So far this is my favorite load.My objective is beat the weatherby 240,with both accuracy and velocity.Hope this helps you out.
grin.gif
Kill'em all let God sort them out
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Dakor VARGET are you kidding! I thought H4350 was as fast as I wanted to burn.Hey maybe your right,dang man what an extreme H1000 to Varget.
shocked.gif
What bullet would you use Varget with?So much air space!null

Iron Worker I shot Varget with a 95gr Ballistic tip I also have shot IMR 4064 another powder that is good is H-414 The top powders in MY RIFLE were R-22 IMR-4831 Varget and H-414 all about the same fps around 3500 to 3550fps and all shot in the .2's

Dakor Wow I'm impressed! So tell me about your rifle.BBL length, Twist rate.What is your starting load with those powders?When I raise the Bolt handel if I feel the slightest resistence on the last degree[of lift of bolt handel] before you eject the fired caseing I consider that a pressure sign.Do you agree?I get semi Flattened primers all the time,without resistance of ejection.Also I seat the bullet on the lands,how about your self? Thanks Iron Worker.
smile.gif

Iron Worker I have over 1000 rounds through mine and it still shoots as good as it did when it was Brand New but I do not get it hot and I make sure to clean it and I always use a bore guide. I would say you should be able to get 4000 to 5000 rounds out of it easily as long as you do not get it hot. My barrel is a Hart #6 with a 1 and 9 Twist and a 28 inch finish on a Rem 700 Long Action with a HS stock. As for reloading I seat mine 30 thousands off the lands and for pressure I go by the bolt if it sticks a little bit or is a litte harder to turn then normal I back off on the charge. I also go by ejector marks by the primer pocket if I start seeing indents or scratches I back off the charge as well. I would say if you want the speed I would go with IMR-4831 or R-22. With 95 grainers I would start at 50 grains and work up. If you find R-22 gives you the fps and Accuracy you need do yourself a favor and buy a 5lbs Keg and start your load over with that until you find it again. R-22 is a good powder for FPS and Accuracy but it verys so much from lot to lot. My two Bullets are the 95 Ballistic Tip and the 85gr Partition. With the 85 partition and 54 grains of R-22 I was getting 3775fps and a 3/4 inch group at 100 yards and a 1 1/4 inch group at 300 yards. Both groups were with 3 shots. That 85gr Partition really puts deer down even at 452 yards it puts them down. As for the 95gr Ballistic Tip with 52 grains of IMR-4831 or 53 grains of R-22 I shoot in the .2's at 100 yards and 1 inch at 300 yards again 3 shot groups. With the IMR-4831 with the 95gr I get 3512fps and with R-22 I get 3557fps but the IMR powder does not seem to be as temp sensitive so last year I used that. Last year I shot my buck at 478 yards with that 95 Ballistic Tip and he went down like a brick.

Don't forget about the plain Jane 100 gr. Sierra and Speers either, especially for big game. They both advertise a BC of .43-- quite a bit above the Nosler 90 + 95, and the Speer 105 is showing a .443 BC. Something to think about.

SS Coyote you make a good point I guess I never really have tried the 100 Sierra but the first year I had my Rifle I shot the 100gr Hornady Interlock. The bullet shot great but with it traveling at 3500 fps it came apart on deer inside 250 yards. The 95 ballistic Tip holds up well even at 50 yards why I dont know.
confused.gif
Nosler must have put a really thick jacket on the 95 grain Ballistic Tip because the 140's out of my 7mm STW going 3412 fps do not hold up like the 95's that are screaming at 3500 + fps it is kinda wierd. As for Speer I have shot the 85gr SPBT and Sierras 85gr HPBT but never their 100gr versions I will have to give them a try.

Yeah u know Boyd Mace use to write for PS mag., and he was using the 100 gr. Speer out of a .240 Badger(shortened 6-284 as i remember) for long-range pr. dogs. I think he liked the bullet since it's BC was so high, and supposed to be very consistent dimensions lot to lot.

My 6mm-284 is a dedicated extreme range rifle and set up as such. Heavy tactical stock, 30" Lilja 1-8" stainless fluted barrel.

I shoot the 107 gr Sierra Mk at a tick under 3600 fps. I have loaded the 95 gr Ballistic Tips to 3800 fps but at extreme range, 1000 yards and beyond, they do not run with the Mk.

I use 56.0 gr of Rl-22 but this is a very top end load. I would start at 52.0 gr or so and work up with a 100 gr class bullet which includes the 95 gr BT.

I would have to agree that Varget is an extremely fast powder for this round and heavy bullets, well any bullets for that matter. As is IMR-4064.

In a round like this, their pressure curves are just to steep. You can go from a max load one day to a VERY hit load on a different day under different conditions, especially with the 4064 powder.

Varget is a little better as it is less temp sensitive but your still playing on the edge in my mind.

What kind of load density are you getting with Varget? It can not be anywhere near 85% and still be safe.

Good Shooting!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.