6mm 107SMK

dakor

Anyone using this bullet for coyotes or deer at long range? I was going to use the 105 A-max out of my 6-284 but I start dusting them after 3200fps. I have never shot anything but paper with the sierra and I am just looking for some feed back from people who have used it on game. I would be shooting out to 600 on deer and 800 to 1000k on yotes.

I killed a pile (> 100) of deer with the 107 SMK out of a 6mm-06. I was running them a little slow trying to same some barrel but they did the trick. I had several 2-fer's using this bullet on smaller deer.

Sounds like you have shot this bullet a lot Dave. How does the bullet seem to perform over all? By that I mean on close shots have some come apart or have most stayed together? My shots very anywhere from 100 yards to 600 yards where I hunt whitetails. I am driving them around 3300fps incase you are wondering. I really do not care if the bullet comes apart as long as it makes it inside the ribs. I actually like that better as in my experiance it seems to put whitetails down faster then a bullet that acts like a Barnes X. Also how do you think this bullet would work on yotes at long range?

Dave

What twist barrel were you using in the 6mm-06?

Have you tried the DTAC 115 grain of deer?

I started to have a 1-7 put on but Dave Wilson tallked me into just a 1-8 being as he thought bullet integrity might be a problem if they were spun too fast. From what Dakor says it sounds like Dave W was right, at least for the Amax.

Buffalobob I have a Hart 6 groove 9 twist and it still dusts the 105 A-max up when you start getting over 3200 to 3250fps. I have shot them all the way to 3350fps but only 6 out of 10 will hit the paper at 100 yards at that speed.

I can't say for certain how they performed but I don't recall not killing a deer with one. I know some longer range groundhogs got back into their hole after being hit but that's a different matter.

I don't remember the twist in the rifle, it was a Hart barrel and I want to say 7 twist 28".

I have used them alot of game such as chucks and yotes and limited use on pronghorn and smaller deer. I will tell you that my experience echos Daves.

On lighter game you will get more pass throughs with little tissue damage such on chucks and yotes.

At ranges past 600 yards, you better hit the chucks in the coconut or solidly in the chest or they will reach their dens. I have used this bullet to take several chucks with one shot kills out to a bit over 1000 yards and again, unless you hit him in the beaner the chuck has a good shot at getting to the den.

Alot the same performance on yotes but if a shoulder is hit, there is more bullet expansion and tissue damage is significantly more.

On pronghorns and small deer, the targets have enough resistance to start to make this bullet expand reliably.

I have always said the 107 gr 6mm SMK is a better goat and deer bullet then chuck bullet. Just my experience.

I had the exact same experience with the 105 gr A-Max which I agree would expand more violently at any range but my rifle tore them apart at 3250 fps almost to the exact fps.

The 107 gr Sierra allowed up to 3600 fps(Hot load) and I settled on 3475 fps in my Lilja 1-8 3 groove 30" pipe.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby thank you also for your input. If they do not do a lot of damgae on a yote that is fine by me as long as I put it through the boiler room they should die. I would also like to get a big yote for a pelt or mount. I will give them a try and let you know how it goes. Only thing is I cannot shoot another deer with a rifle at least for another 11 months but yotes are always open. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks again guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.