6mm ARC vs 6mm Creedmoor Shorty?

Hunterman, Scheels has loaded ammo at $29 a box which makes barrel break in then the ability to have once fired brass at a pretty affordable rate compared to just buying brass for many of the calibers out there. JMO

I will add that I would like to do a 6 Arc but not because it outperforms everything. I think like many cartridges it is great at many thing but not best at all, keep it in perspective. My body is pretty beat up between my back and shooting shoulder. Why I want the ARC is because it is a very low recoiling cartridge that I can enjoy shooting but still performs out to long range. It is also getting a very long barrel life running up into the 3-4000 rd range at minimum. The other point is I believe it to be a very capable deer and antelope as well as varmint cartridge, all this with reloading. Im not talking deer at 800yds or pushing it to elk. Once again I'm a casual bench shooter, not PRS or anything competitive and have reloaded for over 35yrs so it will work for me when I get one together.

Last edited:
Does this help? Evil green tip 5.56 on the left for reference. 6mm ARC 108 ELD-M center, 6mm CM 108 ELD-M right

Attachments

• 20211209_082809.jpg
    20211209_082809.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 4,004
The ARC was designed for gas guns if I'm not mistaken and I can't see it being possible of matching the 6CM speeds running in a bolt gun. Maybe with some factory ammo loads it's possible something runs similar but with handloads I just don't see it. I run a 115 Berger out of a Krieger 20" 6mm Creedmoor at 3045 FPS and 101 Hammer at 3201 FPS.

The ARC was designed for gas guns if I'm not mistaken and I can't see it being possible of matching the 6CM speeds running in a bolt gun. Maybe with some factory ammo loads it's possible something runs similar but with handloads I just don't see it. I run a 115 Berger out of a Krieger 20" 6mm Creedmoor at 3045 FPS and 101 Hammer at 3201 FPS.
Hodgdons load data came up with that velocity for the 115 Berger and 108 ELDM out of a 24" barrel. I looked at Hornady's bolt action 6mm ARC load data and 2850 fps was their velocity out of a 24" barrel. So more than likely the 6mm CM would be faster out of the 16" barrel.

Hodgdons load data came up with that velocity for the 115 Berger and 108 ELDM out of a 24" barrel. I looked at Hornady's bolt action 6mm ARC load data and 2850 fps was their velocity out of a 24" barrel. So more than likely the 6mm CM would be faster out of the 16" barrel.
My loads out of 24" barrel would be 100 FPS faster also based on 25fps per inch of barrel. I'm also running a faster 7 twist so I imagine with a standard twist it would be even faster.

Hunterman, Scheels has loaded ammo at $29 a box which makes barrel break in then the ability to have once fired brass at a pretty affordable rate compared to just buying brass for many of the calibers out there. JMO

I will add that I would like to do a 6 Arc but not because it outperforms everything. I think like many cartridges it is great at many thing but not best at all, keep it in perspective. My body is pretty beat up between my back and shooting shoulder. Why I want the ARC is because it is a very low recoiling cartridge that I can enjoy shooting but still performs out to long range. It is also getting a very long barrel life running up into the 3-4000 rd range at minimum. The other point is I believe it to be a very capable deer and antelope as well as varmint cartridge, all this with reloading. Im not talking deer at 800yds or pushing it to elk. Once again I'm a casual bench shooter, not PRS or anything competitive and have reloaded for over 35yrs so it will work for me when I get one together.
Thanks for the tip on Scheels.

QuickLOAD run of both cartridges, 16" barrel, both at 62k bolt gun pressure. This is the loaded equally with most efficient powder. 6mm CM is over 200fps faster even pushing the ARC with a more compressed load.

Cartridge - Powder Fill % Charge Vel. fps Burn % Pressure max

6mm ARC - Alliant Reloder-17 *T 109.3 30.9 2621 98.4 62000psi
6mm Creedmoor - Alliant Reloder-26 *C 102.3 47.8 2837 99.4 62000psi

6cm with 6.5staball and 6gt with h4350 will both run 2984-3028 with out pressure signs 105 Berger hybrid. 2 members at the club have Arc gas guns but they don't collect data they just shoot. I don't know why but I would like to have one.my 6cm is very accurate and easy to tune.my shooting friend owns the gt and we have worked together collecting the data from both and can't believe how close they are with the size differences in the case but I don't think the case size of the 6arc would run with the 6cm

6cm with 6.5staball and 6gt with h4350 will both run 2984-3028 with out pressure signs 105 Berger hybrid. 2 members at the club have Arc gas guns but they don't collect data they just shoot. I don't know why but I would like to have one.my 6cm is very accurate and easy to tune.my shooting friend owns the gt and we have worked together collecting the data from both and can't believe how close they are with the size differences in the case but I don't think the case size of the 6arc would run with the 6cm
Are those 6creed and 6GT same Barrel length? What length are you getting those speeds ?

Looking at building at 16-18 inch in either caliber. I'm seeing that both the 22GT and 6GT getting closer and closer to 22\6 Creed velocities the shorter the barrels get.

Are those 6creed and 6GT same Barrel length? What length are you getting those speeds ?

Looking at building at 16-18 inch in either caliber. I'm seeing that both the 22GT and 6GT getting closer and closer to 22\6 Creed velocities the shorter the barrels get.
6gt is 20 I believe and my 6cm is 25 bartlein m24 but neither one is is near max they are both loaded at most accurate load my 6cm is at 41 grains of 6.5staball and I have had it up to 3200 before but the accuracy wasn't there and primers started looking like I was getting to max for my setup but I wasn't sure about the look of the primers and the bolt wasn't stiff my friend with That I shoot with has more experience than me thought I was near max and like I said to accuracy wasn't there and when I say accurate I mean one ragged hole at 200 yards

Recent Posts