5,000 fps coyote rifle?

I've used a 220 swift for years. A 22-250 doesn't come close. I've made 400 yard plus shots on varmints with it and even killed Russian hogs . 50 grain sierra at 4400 fps using norma powder. It burns right through regular 1/4 inch plate steel.

I've used the 70-grain Speer bullet on deer as well, out of a 22-250 at around 3200 fps. It killed them quite handily, and didn't blow up all the grinding meat. The 64-grain Winchester Power Point was also an excellent performer. Both bullets have fairly thick jackets, so they might stand up to the rotational stresses. He'd be giving up close to 1000 fps from his desired velocity target, though, so neither is going to fit the bill for this guy's project.

Wasn't meant to be. Just anecdotal to the usage of the sabots for high vel loads. It was the 55's and the 45 we used above 5k.

And I just thought I was a speed freak. I remember reading about a 6-338LM pushing 55-60gr bullets to that mark.

With a mono I'm thinking you're gonna want a gain twist to adress skidding

5000FPS was reached before but it wasn't done with the massive boiler rooms discussed in the first few pages.

it might have been stated before in pages 3-8 of this thread. I think 22 earsplaterboomer was only estimated to but the 224 Macdonald (case design close to a 22 dasher)

34in barrel
30gr Berger's gave 5000
40 gr 4800fps
50-52gr 4200fps

Just a suggestion; have you looked at the 223 WSSM? 40 grain slugs can reach 4600 FPS in testing from Hornady with their V-max slugs. I believe them since I have blown up 55 grain FMJ's in my 223 WSSM (up for sale). I got them spun up so fast they disintegrate upon exiting the barrel. The 1:14" or 1:15" twists for light weight slugs is a necessity. I am sure with some experimentation you might hit 4800 FPS. I have the rifle, 3 stocks, ammo and if you really want it a Shilen 1:14" heavy barrel all up for sale.
let me know.

Wasn't meant to be. Just anecdotal to the usage of the sabots for high vel loads. It was the 55's and the 45 we used above 5k.

My comment was pretty much just anecdotal, as well. I have never used sabots in this application - just in 12-gauge slug loads for deer. They are very effective in that application. Since you have worked with them, how fast do you think the heavier .224" bullets could be pushed out of a large-capacity .30-caliber cartridge like a 300 WM ? Also, I've never seen sabots offered for sale. Where did you get the plastic sabots you were using ?

Boy, It definitely looks like the velocity bug is still alive and doing well. I can only wish everyone well in this endeavor.

I enjoyed it for a while then I came to my senses and settled for 4600 + a few and have been enjoying the rifle ever sense. :cool:

J E CUSTOM

My comment was pretty much just anecdotal, as well. I have never used sabots in this application - just in 12-gauge slug loads for deer. They are very effective in that application. Since you have worked with them, how fast do you think the heavier .224" bullets could be pushed out of a large-capacity .30-caliber cartridge like a 300 WM ? Also, I've never seen sabots offered for sale. Where did you get the plastic sabots you were using ?

One company I have used no longer manufactures them, but here is the other I use:

https://www.eabco.net/Accelerator-Type-Sabots-for-30-Caliber-Cartridges-100_p_13645.html

One of the cheapest ways to exercise the speed demons, but keep accuracy expectations within reason.
Also, back in the early 90's, Remington sold a large lot of pulled Accelerator sabots that were sold at a local gunshow, and those worked well.

Occasionally, a few of the aftermarket sabots do not grip as well as some, and this lets the bullet slip without proper spin rate and poor accuracy. IF this occurs and in order to improve the grip on the bullet, simply roll the bullet between a bastard file and a hard metal plate to "lightly" impress the bullet jacket.

Last edited:
30" of varmint nightmare
22-06ai_zpswgion2it.jpg

One company I have used no longer manufactures them, but here is the other I use:

https://www.eabco.net/Accelerator-Type-Sabots-for-30-Caliber-Cartridges-100_p_13645.html

One of the cheapest ways to exercise the speed demons, but keep accuracy expectations within reason.
Also, back in the early 90's, Remington sold a large lot of pulled Accelerator sabots that were sold at a local gunshow, and those worked well.

Thanks !!! This could spawn a fun wintertime project for me ………..

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.