455 yards with a 15mph cross wind

Out here in Oregon we shoot sage rats in alfalfa fields at all ranges and can shoot a couple of thousand rounds in a weekend ! The rats are actually squirrels that eats alfalfa.

Out here in Oregon we shoot sage rats in alfalfa fields at all ranges and can shoot a couple of thousand rounds in a weekend ! The rats are actually squirrels that eats alfalfa
In my younger days when I lived in another state I used to shoot grounds squirrels on my friends ranch for many years. He grew oat hay and raised cattle. The ground squirrels would mow down the hay in 10 foot circle around their holes. Cattle step in holes. I started out shooting them with bows and 22 rf. Then 22 mag and then 22-250. Popping them way out there. For 40 years. Never put a dent in the population .

QUOTE="del2les, post: 2155437, member: 9299"]
Be careful....longer distance P-dog shooting can become habit forming, and like most any addiction, you have to go longer and longer for the high.

Soon, you will be using a faster twist, heavier and higher BC bullets and going for that magic 1,000yds. ;)
[/QUOTE]
This is absolutely correct!
I got bitten by the bug and usually had1 or 2 new rifles to try out when I made a trip out west. The distance got longer and longer, the rifles bigger and bigger. My 7 RUM was built just to try for a 1500 yd shot with 180 gr bullets. Fell short. I did manage a 1472, but never got in the 1500 yd club 🤣

This is absolutely correct!
I got bitten by the bug and usually had1 or 2 new rifles to try out when I made a trip out west. The distance got longer and longer, the rifles bigger and bigger. My 7 RUM was built just to try for a 1500 yd shot with 180 gr bullets. Fell short. I did manage a 1472, but never got in the 1500 yd club 🤣

I never went larger than a 25-06 in P-dog calibers, which holds my longest kill, but after a few years of using varied 6mm's, today and for the last several years, I use 1/9 and 1/8 twists in 22-250 and 22-250AI's with 75's and higher for those longer shots. Good BC's, very accurate in my rifles, and doesn't pound me over a long day.

That's when I started using muzzle breaks. First to spot my shots, then later to tame recoil when shooting 100+ rounds a day with larger rounds. My all time favorites are still the 22-250 and 243 AIs with larger bullets. In fact, today I'm working on my 22-250AI with 70gr Berger VLDs and RL 26. Great fun!

Not that many years ago, shooting a prairie dog at 500 yards was somewhat of a milestone. Now, with better equipment or perhaps prices that allow more of us to get involved, who knows what the standard is. . . think of the milk jug challenge of hitting a milk jug at 1,000 yards. I've shot one at 700 plus with a different rifle, but this was the longest with the .220 Swift. I had 7 1/2 MOA wind dialed in... And no, it wasn't on the first shot for all of you marksmen out there. You can see the truck top middle. I had to walk out there and range back to the truck to make sure. Have a great day everyone - stay safe, stay well!View attachment 262283
Good shooting Brother

In my younger days when I lived in another state I used to shoot grounds squirrels on my friends ranch for many years. He grew oat hay and raised cattle. The ground squirrels would mow down the hay in 10 foot circle around their holes. Cattle step in holes. I started out shooting them with bows and 22 rf. Then 22 mag and then 22-250. Popping them way out there. For 40 years. Never put a dent in the population .
I grew up shooting them with bows and 22 rf myself around Baker. Lots harder to find places to shoot now.

It doesn't take a lot to kill dogs past 600 yards...You don't even need long barrels :)

Last edited:
Not that many years ago, shooting a prairie dog at 500 yards was somewhat of a milestone. Now, with better equipment or perhaps prices that allow more of us to get involved, who knows what the standard is. . . think of the milk jug challenge of hitting a milk jug at 1,000 yards. I've shot one at 700 plus with a different rifle, but this was the longest with the .220 Swift. I had 7 1/2 MOA wind dialed in... And no, it wasn't on the first shot for all of you marksmen out there. You can see the truck top middle. I had to walk out there and range back to the truck to make sure. Have a great day everyone - stay safe, stay well!View attachment 262283
Very nice shooting! I don't have the tools or skill to pull that off but I do fondly remember as a kid having the patience to lay 10 yards from a ground squirrel hole and whistling them up and popping them in the noggin with a pump-up air rifle. Now I'm just good at the laying down part!!

Very nice shooting! I don't have the tools or skill to pull that off but I do fondly remember as a kid having the patience to lay 10 yards from a ground squirrel hole and whistling them up and popping them in the noggin with a pump-up air rifle. Now I'm just good at the laying down part!!
I remember those days. My sister and I pot a noose around a hole when he popuup she gave him a yank I grabbed him and got the crap bit out of me😎

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.