Effects of cross wind on elevation

Ok gotta look into the 4dof. See how it lines up with what was shot.

Up sloping and down sloping wind is a whole other thing. I shoot so much better on calm days!

Thanks guys.

Hahahahaha just for you Steve!!!!!
44CV8fG.jpg

Screwing around with AB and 4DOF and they are within 2 tenths at a 1000 on the creedmore, first time playing with the 4DOF, kinda interesting.

Can the 4dof be changed to accept density altitude number instead of inputting each variable?

I've had great luck with the 4dof as long as I input everything correctly it gives me good data back. I had a pretty stiff wind at my 5 that I didn't put in and ended up .5 MOA high at 500. Put the wind in and it was spot on.
Edit: wind at 5:00

Screwing around with AB and 4DOF and they are within 2 tenths at a 1000 on the creedmore, first time playing with the 4DOF, kinda interesting.

It took me a bit to figure it out, watching their videos helped. Lots of different inputs. I like the angle compensation, just aim the rifle and then set your phone on the barrel and it measures it and inputs it by itself.

I don't see DA in 4DOF, it's not as tight a way to get enviros in but it's faster I would assume they will start with the most accurate then move to an option for fast.

I'm definitely going to play with it, haven't seen anything interesting in a few years come into play. It's lining up perfectly with my known tracks in AB. Really like the chart display and the info there when they break down each effect and what it's adding. Feels like ColdBore in that respect and tuning the Cd.

According to an interview I heard with Bryan Litz, the vertical portion of wind drift is about 10% of the lateral drift. So, if the wind drift is 5 minutes for the range you are shooting at, the vertical will be about 0.5 minutes.

Assuming a right twist barrel:
Wind from the right causes the bullet to rise and so decreases your overall drop.

Wind from the left causes the bullet to sink and so increases your overall drop.

According to an interview I heard with Bryan Litz, the vertical portion of wind drift is about 10% of the lateral drift. So, if the wind drift is 5 minutes for the range you are shooting at, the vertical will be about 0.5 minutes.

Assuming a right twist barrel:
Wind from the right causes the bullet to rise and so decreases your overall drop.

Wind from the left causes the bullet to sink and so increases your overall drop.
So I was holding 10 moa drift which would amount to 1 moa of extra drop.

So I was holding 10 moa drift which would amount to 1 moa of extra drop.
Which when I ran the numbers thru the AB app was exactly the difference it spit out.... When left to right = 1 MOA lower. wind right to left = 1 MOA higher.
The app does not account for down drafts though. Sounds like the wind had a down draft that pushed the bullet even lower?

Did you send a round down?
Apps. are great but nothing like field experience and gut instinct.
I try and find the worst wind and weather days to practice in. Nothing like real world confirmation to test skills and put all those factors (including apps) into your data bank.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.