Elevation effect on bullet drop

Hespco

I have my own range so shoot frequently. Was out this morning sighting in a new scope on my 6.5-06. E.R.Shaw 24" stainless Bbl. Shooting the Barnes `120gr TSX, BC .381. MV over my chrono was 3277 fps. Sighted in so that I was hitting about 1.5" high @ 100yds. According to the drop tables in the Barnes & Nosler manuals I should be down about 34" at 500yds. I was shooting to 522yds. That's just how it worked out. After shooting my actual drop was about 26". That's about 8" less drop than the manual list. I live at 7630' elevation so air is much thinner here. I have noticed this drop difference in other cal's I've shot at this elevation. . Not trying to promote the 6.5 only want to give info on my actual results. Elevation does make a difference.

Yeah elevation is one of your more important inputs that you must know before taking longer shots. I mean moving from say 2K elevation to 5K you wont see crazy numbers but man when you shoot at 1K elevation or sea level and go on a hunt where shots are possible as high as 10-11K man you better be on your game or you going to be shooting over some animals.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.