45-70 Load Suggestions

I just discovered that I was only off a 1000 pounds or so šŸ™€ with my wheel weight supply! šŸ¤¬ I originally posted 100 poundsā€¦..that's not even a couple years worth if things go really bad!

The original post has since been changed to better reflect reality! šŸ˜‰ memtb
Like my grandfather said,Hope for the best but plan for the worst!
Right on buddy!

I just discovered that I was only off a 1000 pounds or so šŸ™€ with my wheel weight supply! šŸ¤¬ I originally posted 100 poundsā€¦..that's not even a couple years worth if things go really bad!

The original post has since been changed to better reflect reality! šŸ˜‰ memtb
Things did take a slight turn for the worse when they started using those zinc wheel weights years back, dang it! Too light, can't even make a decent bullet out of those new wheel weights.

Things did take a slight turn for the worse when they started using those zinc wheel weights years back, dang it! Too light, can't even make a decent bullet out of those new wheel weights.

You can still (usually) find the old wheel weightsā€¦..but, you end up with a bunch of discards!

Thankfully, the majority of mine came before the "environmentalist wackos" took control of the US! šŸ¤¬ memtb

You can still (usually) find the old wheel weightsā€¦..but, you end up with a bunch of discards!

Thankfully, the majority of mine came before the "environmentalist wackos" took control of the US! šŸ¤¬ memtb
Yep, those Wackos shouldn't be allowed to change stuff they know nothing about. That wheel weights to bullets was a self sustaining recycle mission, with no Government oversight needed.Go in the Big O for new set a truck tires and leave with a couple 1/3 full 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights, the good ol Days.

Yep, those Wackos shouldn't be allowed to change stuff they know nothing about. That wheel weights to bullets was a self sustaining recycle mission, with no Government oversight needed.Go in the Big O for new set a truck tires and leave with a couple 1/3 full 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights, the good ol Days.

Andā€¦..the last I've heard, birds aren't eating very many wheel weights! Jus Say'n! memtb

Another powder that works great, but is also nearly "unobtainium" is RL 7. That's what I use to push my home cast 430's to very near 1800 mv with good accuracy!

Though, I have experience with any jacketed bullets! memtb

I have lots of IMR 4198ā€¦..acquired years ago for cast bullet loads in numerous bottleneck cases. That and about 1000 pounds of wheel weights are on standby for after the "ship hits the sand"! šŸ˜‰ memtb
It's still there.
IMG_20231003_115334992.jpg
IMG_20231003_115321777.jpg
IMG_20231003_115302382.jpg

Cant speak on Monolithic Bullets but I've run a stout load of Varget with 405 gr hard cast, Reloader 7 and H4198 with 300 gr HP's and Varget with 350 gr Speers. Lots of options depending on what you're looking for. I like my a** stomping loads with heavy Bullets lol

I know that the Hornady 325 gr bullet is a very efficient killer, and I'm sure that the 250 grainer would be great for deer and maybe black bear, but I'm just hung up on the devastating aspects of a 400-405 bullet. Yeah it belts you around a little bit more, but I know the trajectory of it like the back of my hand and it is able to shoot delightfully tight and consistent groups. I was invited to hunt Moose on Wrangall Island in Alaska a few years ago for 15 days. It rained sideways for 13 of those days and was the most miserable hunt I ever had. Even the inside of my wallet was sopping wet. No Moose. No Moose tracks. No Moose turds. No Moose sign of any kind. Not to be skunked, I managed to shoot the heads off two Ptarmigan at about 50 yards. I brought 'em back to my soggy campsite, skinned 'em, cooked 'em, and ate them right up to the bullet holes. I figure that they cost me about $850 bucks per pound. So, yes, the big 400 grainers are good for anything from ptarmigan to Buffalo!

What are they asking for it? memtb
Dang I didn't look. I'll text buddy who works . That place is expensive. The place that's 6 miles out of town is about $10 cheaper on everything. They have 4198 and a lot of other powders. No RL7 though.

Does anyone have any pet loads for the 300 gr barnes tsx with imr 3031 out of a 1895g???
Starline brass but that doesn't matter much.

Recent Posts