45-70 Load Suggestions

I just discovered that I was only off a 1000 pounds or so 🙀 with my wheel weight supply! 🤬 I originally posted 100 pounds…..that's not even a couple years worth if things go really bad!

The original post has since been changed to better reflect reality! 😉 memtb
Like my grandfather said,Hope for the best but plan for the worst!
Right on buddy!

I just discovered that I was only off a 1000 pounds or so 🙀 with my wheel weight supply! 🤬 I originally posted 100 pounds…..that's not even a couple years worth if things go really bad!

The original post has since been changed to better reflect reality! 😉 memtb
Things did take a slight turn for the worse when they started using those zinc wheel weights years back, dang it! Too light, can't even make a decent bullet out of those new wheel weights.

Things did take a slight turn for the worse when they started using those zinc wheel weights years back, dang it! Too light, can't even make a decent bullet out of those new wheel weights.

You can still (usually) find the old wheel weights…..but, you end up with a bunch of discards!

Thankfully, the majority of mine came before the "environmentalist wackos" took control of the US! 🤬 memtb

You can still (usually) find the old wheel weights…..but, you end up with a bunch of discards!

Thankfully, the majority of mine came before the "environmentalist wackos" took control of the US! 🤬 memtb
Yep, those Wackos shouldn't be allowed to change stuff they know nothing about. That wheel weights to bullets was a self sustaining recycle mission, with no Government oversight needed.Go in the Big O for new set a truck tires and leave with a couple 1/3 full 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights, the good ol Days.

Yep, those Wackos shouldn't be allowed to change stuff they know nothing about. That wheel weights to bullets was a self sustaining recycle mission, with no Government oversight needed.Go in the Big O for new set a truck tires and leave with a couple 1/3 full 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights, the good ol Days.

And…..the last I've heard, birds aren't eating very many wheel weights! Jus Say'n! memtb

Another powder that works great, but is also nearly "unobtainium" is RL 7. That's what I use to push my home cast 430's to very near 1800 mv with good accuracy!

Though, I have experience with any jacketed bullets! memtb

I have lots of IMR 4198…..acquired years ago for cast bullet loads in numerous bottleneck cases. That and about 1000 pounds of wheel weights are on standby for after the "ship hits the sand"! 😉 memtb
It's still there.
IMG_20231003_115334992.jpg
IMG_20231003_115321777.jpg
IMG_20231003_115302382.jpg

Cant speak on Monolithic Bullets but I've run a stout load of Varget with 405 gr hard cast, Reloader 7 and H4198 with 300 gr HP's and Varget with 350 gr Speers. Lots of options depending on what you're looking for. I like my a** stomping loads with heavy Bullets lol

I know that the Hornady 325 gr bullet is a very efficient killer, and I'm sure that the 250 grainer would be great for deer and maybe black bear, but I'm just hung up on the devastating aspects of a 400-405 bullet. Yeah it belts you around a little bit more, but I know the trajectory of it like the back of my hand and it is able to shoot delightfully tight and consistent groups. I was invited to hunt Moose on Wrangall Island in Alaska a few years ago for 15 days. It rained sideways for 13 of those days and was the most miserable hunt I ever had. Even the inside of my wallet was sopping wet. No Moose. No Moose tracks. No Moose turds. No Moose sign of any kind. Not to be skunked, I managed to shoot the heads off two Ptarmigan at about 50 yards. I brought 'em back to my soggy campsite, skinned 'em, cooked 'em, and ate them right up to the bullet holes. I figure that they cost me about $850 bucks per pound. So, yes, the big 400 grainers are good for anything from ptarmigan to Buffalo!

What are they asking for it? memtb
Dang I didn't look. I'll text buddy who works . That place is expensive. The place that's 6 miles out of town is about $10 cheaper on everything. They have 4198 and a lot of other powders. No RL7 though.

Does anyone have any pet loads for the 300 gr barnes tsx with imr 3031 out of a 1895g???
Starline brass but that doesn't matter much.