45-70 loads

300Rummy

Does anyone else out there have any trouble with one side of the case showing a slight bulge ring at the bottom of the bullet after bullet seating, or am I doing something wrong? It has no affect on accuracy, I annialated a milk jug at 186 yds. I've tried adjusting the mouth expander die to the slightest, and also a little long but to no avail the ring is still there, only on one side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated....

300Rummy, Have you miced your cases to see that they are similar thickness on both sides? If cases are similar thickness, then I would look to your seating die. It probably is not centered on the case and is seating the bullet slightly off center. I've loaded with a set of Lee dies with no problem. Also, I use the Lee factory crimp die to finish (recommended by Hawk bullets to crimp). Just a few ideas. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bulged cases

Bulged cases are usually caused by the sizing die squeezing the case down too far in diameter for the bullet used. Measure the case mouth inner diameter after the case has been sized, and after the case mouth has been flared. It only needs to be .001 to .002 under bullet diameter for a tight bullet fit.

If the case mouth inner diameter is less than .001 -.002 inch under bullet diameter, the bullet will push out more on the weakest side of the case as it is seated. This is because cases are rarely the same thickness and/or hardness all the way around the circumference of the case mouth. The fix is an oversized sizing die, or smaller bullet diameter.

Bulged cases are cosmetic only and pose no danger in shooting.

After checking the sides with my wall mic. and looking at the seating die I found nothing to really be abnormal, so I got on Lees Prisision web page since my dies are Lee dies, and I found the response to bulged cases that I copied and pasted. Thanks for your help, It led me to the info I needed!

300Rummy,
I had this happen with my 45/70 BPCR loads using Lyman dies and like you said it did not effect accuracy in any way.
I also notice a good percentage of rounds with a heavier bulge on one side then the other.

What you must remember is, that you are asking a straight tapered case to hold a parallel bullet, the case must be sized sufficiently for an appropriate length from the mouth, in order to grip the bullet along its entire length.
Hence the bulge.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

300Rummy

Give me your rifle make, load data please! Include the specific bullet you're loading! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.