45-70 Load Suggestions

SArnold30

Just picked up a Marlin 1895 GBL and am looking for input/experience on powder recommendations. Right now the only plans I have for it are using it on CA black bear and pigs, then occasionally taking it back home for Iowa whitetail, so I figured the easy button is to lean toward 250 gr Barnes or Hammer.

I have IMR 8208 XBR, but was thinking about picking up some Viht N120 to also try out.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Just picked up a Marlin 1895 GBL and am looking for input/experience on powder recommendations. Right now the only plans I have for it are using it on CA black bear and pigs, then occasionally taking it back home for Iowa whitetail, so I figured the easy button is to lean toward 250 gr Barnes or Hammer.

I have IMR 8208 XBR, but was thinking about picking up some Viht N120 to also try out.

I've shot a truckload of handloads through my Marlin 1895SBL. Make life easy on yourself and get a can of H4198 or IMR 4198. Lots of powders work fine in the 45-70 but the 4198s will work well with every bullet weight and will provide good accuracy and speed.

The black bear in my avatar was shot in Newfoundland using my favorite black bear bullet, the Speer 400gr FN. No bear has ever stopped one and they expand readily.

In the 250gr realm my only experience is with the Hornady 250 MonoFlex. With a max load from the Barnes book you will see trajectories flatten measurably. The bullet is surprisingly accurate. I shoot well under 2" @ 200yds with that bullet.

If you want something really stout, try the 350 Swift A-Frame. They are another very accurate bullet and they perform like all A-Frames, but they aren't cheap.

Good luck with your 45-70, they're a blast to shoot. I'm sure that you'll get plenty of helpful suggestions here on this LR forum. LOL

I've shot a truckload of handloads through my Marlin 1895SBL. Make life easy on yourself and get a can of H4198 or IMR 4198. Lots of powders work fine in the 45-70 but the 4198s will work well with every bullet weight and will provide good accuracy and speed.

The black bear in my avatar was shot in Newfoundland using my favorite black bear bullet, the Speer 400gr FN. No bear has ever stopped one and they expand readily.

In the 250gr realm my only experience is with the Hornady 250 MonoFlex. With a max load from the Barnes book you will see trajectories flatten measurably. The bullet is surprisingly accurate. I shoot well under 2" @ 200yds with that bullet.

If you want something really stout, try the 350 Swift A-Frame. They are another very accurate bullet and they perform like all A-Frames, but they aren't cheap.

Good luck with your 45-70, they're a blast to shoot. I'm sure that you'll get plenty of helpful suggestions here on this LR forum. LOL
I think either of the 4198's are pretty difficult to find these days though.

My pig load
IMG_1277.jpeg

No word on suppressed loads? Anyone have any thoughts on the 410 gr Hornady subsonic on bears or other game? Any other loads since the new Marlins readily accept a suppressor

No word on suppressed loads? Anyone have any thoughts on the 410 gr Hornady subsonic on bears or other game? Any other loads since the new Marlins readily accept a suppressor
I have loaded them with trailboss but have not yet shot anything with them, they are fantastically quiet though a Hybrid 46. My rifle is a Taylor & Co 1886 copy so I am limited to red dots or scout scopes.

I plan to take them out in rifle this year to see if I can find a doe with them. I wish we could use straight walls in our early muzzleloader season as that would be the perfect time to use them during the low pressure doe season.

I would like to get some 4198 of the H variety, but no luck finding any. 1680 is what I've used, but some say n133 is good? Yes, those 350a-frames are not cheap! Bought some 4 or 5 years ago that cost about a buck per, but then again Barnes isn't cheap either.

I have Barnes 250tsx and 300original along with Hornady 325ftx. Those I do in small amounts as require trimming .055" extra off for the brass. That also requires a different crimp die. If you decide to try the ftx's let me know and I'll let you borrow the crimp die.

Another powder that works great, but is also nearly "unobtainium" is RL 7. That's what I use to push my home cast 430's to very near 1800 mv with good accuracy!

Though, I have experience with any jacketed bullets! memtb

I have lots of IMR 4198…..acquired years ago for cast bullet loads in numerous bottleneck cases. That and about 1000 pounds of wheel weights are on standby for after the "ship hits the sand"! 😉 memtb

Last edited:
Another powder that works great, but is also nearly "unobtainium" is RL 7. That's what I use to push my home cast 430's to very near 1800 mv with good accuracy!

Though, I have experience with any jacketed bullets! memtb
I wonder what RL11 will be like? No, it's not a joke as it's supposed to be coming out.