45-70 loads?

My chrony died and I have yet to replace it but based on my drops at 100 and 300 using a 50yds zero it looks to be right around 1950fps.

WildRose what is your drop from 100-200-300?

How many grains of RL7 are you using? Large rifle or LR magnum primers?

What 405 grn Jacketed bullet would you recommend? Also can you tell me what your procedure is to get out the lead?

Thank you,
Tom

only ones I've used are from Speer. Groups size is really not in the picture here as I was developing a 60 foot "pray it works round." Plus with the .450, the recoil is so violent your flinching after three shots. Still if I see a three inch or less group at fifty yards; I'm elated. I have shot the bullets into wet straw and phone books. They held together very well. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a good and hard cast bullet in the 400 grain area. Just hard to come by in my neck of the woods.

A lot of people don't seem to realize that lead is a lubricant, and will help smooth it's path down a barrel. Holds together very well on impact. Plus they're cheap. Still I like to weigh all my options.

gary

Something else I wanted to ask. Being a straight wall case that head space's off the rim is there much of anything you can do to tune for accuracy besides play a limited amount with seating depth?

I mean besides using different cartridge components (powder, bullets, primer, ect)

I have had very good luck with the Speer 400gr JFP bullet. I shoot them at about 1,700 ft/sec with a charge of H4198 and a Fed 210 primer in Starline cases.

Accuracy at 100yds hovers right at 1", repeatedly, when fired from my Marlin 1895SBL.

I shot a 350lb boar in the shoulder with this load at 125yds. The bullet shot through the big boar and was caught in the off-side hide. The recovered bullet was nearly 1" in diameter and remained completely intact.

400_JSP_-_base.JPG

without doing a bunch of digging, I'm surprised those bullets work well. They were designed for a lower velocity (hand gun?). I like the Hornaday 325 grain bullet, but wanted something with very deep penetration on large bears.

Powder wise I started to mention AA2015br and 2230, and IMR3031. Never had much luck with 4198, but others have. One thing about AA2230 to remember that there are at least two versions and maybe even a third. The older 2230 Data is no where close to current stuff. The 2230 (current) shot very well in the Marlin .450, so I think it'd do well in the 45-70.
gary

What is the best brass for 45-70?

I realized last night that all my brass is short because it was the hornady factory stuff with the 325 gr ftx. So it was trimmed to 2.040 instead of the standard 2.095.

You have my attention on this one! I have been planning to work up a load for the Hornady 350 FN and a 350 gr. cast, I thought like the OP this might be great overall but I had better check into this bullet since decent velocities are possible !

Reloader 19 @ 51.8 with 350 RN in WW cases with Fed 210M primer
2000 FPS load in Marlin Guide Gun 45-70

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.