45-70 loads?

Love my 1898 marlin 22" barrel!
50.5 grns of H4198, 405 grn cast performance bullets, 2090 fps, very bad medicine?

Tom

That is bad medicine! The guy that turned me onto the 45-70 went on a cape buffalo hunt with the marlin as a back up gun, very similar load to that with a penetrating/slight mushrooming bullet design. Long story short he shot a cape buffalo quartering towereds him with the marlin 45-70. Bullet went through front shoulder and lodged in opposite side rear hip. Penetrated 6' of Buffalo!

That is bad medicine! The guy that turned me onto the 45-70 went on a cape buffalo hunt with the marlin as a back up gun, very similar load to that with a penetrating/slight mushrooming bullet design. Long story short he shot a cape buffalo quartering towereds him with the marlin 45-70. Bullet went through front shoulder and lodged in opposite side rear hip. Penetrated 6' of Buffalo!

I live in Alaska, my two sons and I use it or the smith 500 for back up, used both on baligerent large brownies with excellent results, very confident!

Tom

I once shot a deer at 111 yards with my Sharps 45-70 with a Lyman 405 gr flat point cast from wheel weights that actually weighed 418 grs powered by 70 grs of Goex FFG black powder. It was running around 1400 fps. The deer was facing me and with the open sights I aimed at the center of it's chest. When the smoke cleared it was on the ground. Upon getting to the deer I found that it must have put it's head down by the time I shot and the bullet got there. It hit the deer between the eyes in the forehead. The bullet made saw dust of it's spine in the neck and exited behind the left front shoulder then proceeded to hit it's left back leg just above the knee joint and shot it completely off. The bullet then hit the logging road that was hard packed sandy dirt and looked like a mole had gone down the road for about 5 yards. The bullet came out of the ground and went through a 6" thick pine tree about three feet off the side of the road. I lost track of it from there. These big heavy slugs just keep on plowing through things. :D

Love my 1898 marlin 22" barrel!
50.5 grns of H4198, 405 grn cast performance bullets, 2090 fps, very bad medicine?

Tom

Tom, two questions for you.

* do you experience much leading in the barrel shooting 2000 fps?

* is that 405 grain bullet a commercial bullet or do you cast your own.

I've been doing some experimenting with the Speer 405 grain bullets in the .450 Marlin. Recoil is very violent, but I think I've found a true bear stopper.
gary

Tom, two questions for you.

* do you experience much leading in the barrel shooting 2000 fps?

* is that 405 grain bullet a commercial bullet or do you cast your own.

I've been doing some experimenting with the Speer 405 grain bullets in the .450 Marlin. Recoil is very violent, but I think I've found a true bear stopper.
gary

Gary,

Because it is a violent kicker, being so light and with original butt pad, open sites, I don't shoot it a lot. The bullets I'm using are made by a company called cast performance out of rainier Oregon, they have a gas check on them and I haven't noticed any build up, i'm not sure how much the gas check affects lead build up, do you know?

Tom

Thank you all for the responses. Wild rose I'm absolutely gonna get some of those peregrine bullets. Right at the moment the 380 gr is out of stock but I'm interested in the 343 gr for a slightly lighter deer load, probably get both to play with.

Can you tell me what volocity your getting with the 380 gr out of the shorter barreled guide gun?
My chrony died and I have yet to replace it but based on my drops at 100 and 300 using a 50yds zero it looks to be right around 1950fps.

Gary,

Because it is a violent kicker, being so light and with original butt pad, open sites, I don't shoot it a lot. The bullets I'm using are made by a company called cast performance out of rainier Oregon, they have a gas check on them and I haven't noticed any build up, i'm not sure how much the gas check affects lead build up, do you know?

Tom
They should reduce it considerably because they also lay down a layer of lubricant in the barrel between the bullet and the steel.

They should reduce it considerably because they also lay down a layer of lubricant in the barrel between the bullet and the steel.

Most of the commercial cast bullets/lubed bullets contain 10-20% tin along with the lubed gas checks to reduce/eliminate leading. It's probably a good idea to keep velocity with them under 2000FPS.

Most of the commercial cast bullets/lubed bullets contain 10-20% tin along with the lubed gas checks to reduce/eliminate leading. It's probably a good idea to keep velocity with them under 2000FPS.
Yep, wasn't aware of the tin but I know cast bullets tend not to perform well at high velocity unless they are made from some pretty hard cast lead alloys.

There are some purpose built dangerous game bullets that fall in that category but that's all out of my wheelhouse. If I'm shooting at something dangerous I definitely want a modern jacketed bullet. Call me a wheenie gun)

Gary,

Tom

Here's why I asked. I shoot several .44 mags and one .445 super mag. The 44's will shoot a 250 grain lead bullet with a gas check at 1400 fps in an 8" barrel using AA #9. I could load them a little hotter (about a grain and a half more powder). They same load in a 12" barrel will do 1650 fps. I can get about a hundred rounds out of the 8" barrel before leading starts (Linotype). The 1650 fps barrel will do about 15 shots before we see leading. The super mag is a different ball game. It'll do about 1780 to 1850fps with a 14" barrel. Yet after 10 shots it needs cleaning. The bullets are the same with a gas check (Lyman Keith mold). The guns are more accurate without the gas check, but good for about ten shots a piece. On the otherhand a similar shaped .45 LC bullet at a tick under 1200fps seems to shoot forever. My 30 Herrett shooting a fire forming load (170 grain cast lead bullet @ about 1800 fps) will show lead in ten rounds and probably less. Of course I don't worry about the leading, but it's there. reason I load them so hot is the cases come out nearly perfect at the shoulder, and they're strait. I usually con my sons into shooting them as after about fifty rounds your hand gets tired. But they are not smart enough to know this! A serious bear to get the lead out I might add here. 1600fps seems to be the cut off point for me anyway.
gary

it will probably come in about 75 fps slower due to the increased friction alone. Still you'll get no leading and virtually zero copper fouling. The shape is also better.
gary

What 405 grn Jacketed bullet would you recommend? Also can you tell me what your procedure is to get out the lead?

Thank you,
Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts