45-70 Load Suggestions

I wonder what RL11 will be like? No, it's not a joke as it's supposed to be coming out.

Good question! I hadn't heard about a new offering from Alliant! Hopefully they'll supply info as to the burn rate as compared to other powders!

Though, I question why they're bringing out new powders left and right when they can't meet present demand! ☹️ memtb

Just picked up a Marlin 1895 GBL and am looking for input/experience on powder recommendations. Right now the only plans I have for it are using it on CA black bear and pigs, then occasionally taking it back home for Iowa whitetail, so I figured the easy button is to lean toward 250 gr Barnes or Hammer.

I have IMR 8208 XBR, but was thinking about picking up some Viht N120 to also try out.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
I own 7 .45-70's and have hunted extensively with them on three continents, including an 8 year stint in the Alaskan Bush. When I got my first one it was a 22" bbl M95 Marlin made the first year of re-introduction, 1972, with Balllard rifling. The load I came up with then was 54 grew. of IMR 3031 behind a 400 grain Speer FP. That load killed a lot of Moose, bear and caribou and never failed me. I didn't have a chronograph in those days, but a recent check gave me a velocity of 1848 fps. It is a STOUT load and not for an afternoon of plinking beer cans! Another very accurate load is 54 grs. of VV133. and still a third is 54 grs. of AA2015- both with 400 gr Speers. All three are exceptional killers, but bring some liniment for your shoulder....

Another powder that works great, but is also nearly "unobtainium" is RL 7. That's what I use to push my home cast 430's to very near 1800 mv with good accuracy!

Though, I have experience with any jacketed bullets! memtb

I have lots of IMR 4198…..acquired years ago for cast bullet loads in numerous bottleneck cases. That and about 100 pounds of wheel weights are on standby for after the "ship hits the sand"! 😉 memtb
Take a drive towards me my friend. There's a shop that has/had RL7 and another has INT4198 and W760. My jaw dropped when I saw the W760. I haven't seen in so long. I don't use it anymore though. Cheap also. Both.

I'm leaning towards 300gr projectiles in my Marlin 1895. 300g Speer HP w/47.0g H4198 gets roughly 1800fps and is a mild load but accurate. My go to hunting load is 300g Barnes TSX FN with 47.2g N120 (1st choice) or 52.5g H4198 both accurate. I mainly hunt white tails which the Barnes has proven to be devastating. My typical shots are within 150yds. 90% within 90yds as I use this as my go to woods rifle. If you can find N120 or H4198 try some

Attachments

• IMG_9097.jpeg
    IMG_9097.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 32
I havent shot any 4198 behind the light barnes bullets, but it works wonderfully behind cast from 300 to 460 grains. Ditto RL7. 5744 is great, and expensive. RL10x is great, as is H335 and 322. 4227 works, along with W748, 8208, bl-c2, 4895s and the like. Seek Ranch Dog reload data online. Maybe the way-back machine is necessary.
I use old 2400 and their old data with cast. Most of the 223 and 375h&h burn rate powders work well. A little slower burn is a little slow in my experience. Duplex loads are possible, but ive never done it.
Remember that the bison were nearly extinct-ed with a lead bullet going 1300 or so at the muzzle. The copper expanders do need speed, though.

I own 7 .45-70's and have hunted extensively with them on three continents, including an 8 year stint in the Alaskan Bush. When I got my first one it was a 22" bbl M95 Marlin made the first year of re-introduction, 1972, with Balllard rifling. The load I came up with then was 54 grew. of IMR 3031 behind a 400 grain Speer FP. That load killed a lot of Moose, bear and caribou and never failed me. I didn't have a chronograph in those days, but a recent check gave me a velocity of 1848 fps. It is a STOUT load and not for an afternoon of plinking beer cans! Another very accurate load is 54 grs. of VV133. and still a third is 54 grs. of AA2015- both with 400 gr Speers. All three are exceptional killers, but bring some liniment for your shoulder....

Now that's an endorsement based on a lot of field experience. 👍 👍 👍

Two things to note when using the Hornady 250 MonoFlex bullet:

1, You'll need to shorten the brass if you want them to cycle properly through a Marlin action.

2. You won't be able to use a Lee FCD to crimp the shortened brass. But my Hornady dies have the usual roll crimp feature which only requires a quick adjustment for the shorter brass. That's what I've been doing, and it works fine.

If anyone is interested in them, they are available at Blue Collar reloading for $49 IIRC. They are usually in stock.

Take a drive towards me my friend. There's a shop that has/had RL7 and another has INT4198 and W760. My jaw dropped when I saw the W760. I haven't seen in so long. I don't use it anymore though. Cheap also. Both.

Do they have any 5 pounders of RL 7 ? If so and affordable…..I may conquer my fear of going to the big city! 😉 memtb

Do they have any 5 pounders of RL 7 ? If so and affordable…..I may conquer my fear of going to the big city! 😉 memtb
Just 1 pounders . I'll have to check one place that had RL7 to see if still have. Other place still has 4189 and 760 plus a lot of others. I'll ask buddy tomorrow that works there to check.

350 grain Hornady Round Nose at 1400-1600 FPS, loaded with 3031 is my all time favourite, all round use load. You can make them go much faster, but they don't kill any better. At 1500-1600 FPS they will penetrate length wise through a moose, don't need any more penetration than that. From bears, to elk and moose, I have never recovered a 350 grain. All faster does is beat up the shooter. There are lots of powders that work great in the 45-70, 3031, 4227, 4198, Varget, and Trail boss to name a few I have used over the years.

The effect of speed on incapacitation is typically called Hydrostatic shock. That effect does not happen with projectiles travelling less than 2500 FPS. It is why Roy Weatherby built the beast of cartridge that is the 460 Weatherby Magnum. I own one in a left hand action MKV. It produces awesome recoil, it is the only rifle I own that has a brake on it. Despite all the roaring, flame and drama it does not kill any faster than my 45-70 and I have shot a lot of bears with both. I have also shot bears with a 45-70 loaded from1100 FPS to 2000. I can tell you from experience the sweat spot is 1400-1500 fps for quick kills, reasonably flat trajectory, at least by 45-70 standards, and quick second shot recovery. My favourite load is a Hornady 350 grain RN over 3031 powder at 1500 fps.

From another post

If you drive a 405 to 500 grain bullet at 1500 FPS it will go clear through a Bison. Making them go faster will NOT improve the results, it just beats the snot out of the shooter.

I have posted this on other 45-70 threads and it matches my experience as well.

This is by Randy Garret of Garret Ammunition Manufacturers.
https://www.garrettcartridges.com/penetration.html

PENETRATION: THE 45-70 & 458 MAGNUMS

The following article is based on bullet penetration test results as measured in water-saturated penetration materials (wet newspapers). Water is the primary substance of life, and constitutes about 90% of the content of all mammals. I have observed that some "testers" have chosen wood boards or dry newspapers for penetration testing material, and this is a very poor choice, which in no way simulates the characteristics of a bullet impact with animal flesh. Wood tends to channel the bullet path, and is less demonstrative of the terminal instabilities inherent to non-expanding bullets when impacting game animals, and is thus an inferior material for the testing of bullet penetration characteristics. Water-saturated penetration materials such as newspapers or ballistic gelatin are far superior with regards to their ability to demonstrate the terminal instabilities that typically occur when non-expanding bullets impact live animal flesh. - Randy Garrett
There are few things in the world of ballistics less well understood than the issues relating to comparative penetration. It is commonly believed that the faster one drives a solid bullet, the deeper the penetration. We see this all the time in the various attempts, via new calibers, to achieve higher velocity for improved performance on heavy game. The current rage among big bore shooters seems to be the 458 Lott, since it achieves a good 200-300 fps higher velocity than the 458 Winchester Magnum. It is claimed that the new 458 Lott is an improvement over the 458 Winchester Magnum since its higher velocity supposedly results in more lethal impact-effect and deeper penetration. This, it is claimed, is just the ticket for busting the heaviest game. Of course, the new 458 Lott also achieves greater kinetic energy as a result of its higher velocity, and this is also a convincing characteristic for those brave souls in pursuit of the heaviest game.

Despite all the impressive "science" deployed to reinforce the assertion that higher speed projectiles are more capable of inflicting the deep penetration and impact-effect required to reliably anchor heavy game, one finds that these assertions simply do not withstand common sense, repeatable penetration testing. In fact, if one conducts these tests, one finds that there is nothing that can be observed which supports the assertion that the faster one drives non-expanding solids the deeper they penetrate.

Very interestingly, if one takes the Hornady 500-grain .458 diameter solid bullet and compares the penetration that results from impact speeds varying from about 1500-fps to 2500-fps, one finds that the higher impact speeds produce the least penetration. When driven to about 1500-fps (as the 45-70 will do) one finds that such solids produce nearly 6-feet of penetration in wet newspapers. When the same bullet is driven to about 2100-fps (as is characteristic of the 458 Winchester Magnum) one finds that the penetration is reduced to about 4 to 4 and 1/2 feet. When one tests the same bullet at 2300-2400 fps (as is characteristic of the 458 Lott) one finds that the penetration comes up nearly 20% short of that produced by the 458 Winchester. And when one tests the same bullet at the blistering speeds characteristic of the mighty 460 Weatherby Magnum, one finds that the penetration achieved is the most shallow produced by the various 458s.

What is apparent from testing is that penetration stops increasing at impact speeds above about 1250-1300 fps. When the impact speeds significantly surpass about 1600-fps, there is a very definite and measurable decrease in penetration depth. This raises some interesting issues regarding the relationship between kinetic energy generation and impact-effect. Although higher velocity projectiles always generate more kinetic energy they clearly do not produce deeper penetration, and when the velocities reach the levels common to today's magnums, the increases in velocity result in significantly reduced penetration. Simply stated, the faster they strike the faster they stop.
Fortunately for all of us who shoot the 45-70, it can be considered to be the deepest penetrating of the various 458 calibers. This is not due to any particular inherent superiority, but due to the 45-70's "inability" to achieve the velocity with heavy bullets that leads to decreases in penetration. The reasons why high impact speeds reduce penetration are not well understood. However, anyone who takes the time to run comparative penetration tests will find that those of us who pack a good 45-70 with heavy bullets need not take a back seat to any other 458 caliber, especially when the game is heavy and the penetration requirements are great.
- Randy Garrett

Last edited:
350 grain Hornady Round Nose at 1400-1600 FPS, loaded with 3031 is my all time favourite, all round use load. You can make them go much faster, but they don't kill any better. At 1500-1600 FPS they will penetrate length wise through a moose, don't need any more penetration than that. From bears, to elk and moose, I have never recovered a 350 grain. All faster does is beat up the shooter. There are lots of powders that work great in the 45-70, 3031, 4227, 4198, Varget, and Trail boss to name a few I have used over the years.

The effect of speed on incapacitation is typically called Hydrostatic shock. That effect does not happen with projectiles travelling less than 2500 FPS. It is why Roy Weatherby built the beast of cartridge that is the 460 Weatherby Magnum. I own one in a left hand action MKV. It produces awesome recoil, it is the only rifle I own that has a brake on it. Despite all the roaring, flame and drama it does not kill any faster than my 45-70 and I have shot a lot of bears with both. I have also shot bears with a 45-70 loaded from1100 FPS to 2000. I can tell you from experience the sweat spot is 1400-1500 fps for quick kills, reasonably flat trajectory, at least by 45-70 standards, and quick second shot recovery. My favourite load is a Hornady 350 grain RN over 3031 powder at 1500 fps.

From another post

If you drive a 405 to 500 grain bullet at 1500 FPS it will go clear through a Bison. Making them go faster will NOT improve the results, it just beats the snot out of the shooter.

The following article is based on bullet penetration test results as measured in water-saturated penetration materials (wet newspapers). Water is the primary substance of life, and constitutes about 90% of the content of all mammals. I have observed that some "testers" have chosen wood boards or dry newspapers for penetration testing material, and this is a very poor choice, which in no way simulates the characteristics of a bullet impact with animal flesh. Wood tends to channel the bullet path, and is less demonstrative of the terminal instabilities inherent to non-expanding bullets when impacting game animals, and is thus an inferior material for the testing of bullet penetration characteristics. Water-saturated penetration materials such as newspapers or ballistic gelatin are far superior with regards to their ability to demonstrate the terminal instabilities that typically occur when non-expanding bullets impact live animal flesh. - Randy Garrett
There are few things in the world of ballistics less well understood than the issues relating to comparative penetration. It is commonly believed that the faster one drives a solid bullet, the deeper the penetration. We see this all the time in the various attempts, via new calibers, to achieve higher velocity for improved performance on heavy game. The current rage among big bore shooters seems to be the 458 Lott, since it achieves a good 200-300 fps higher velocity than the 458 Winchester Magnum. It is claimed that the new 458 Lott is an improvement over the 458 Winchester Magnum since its higher velocity supposedly results in more lethal impact-effect and deeper penetration. This, it is claimed, is just the ticket for busting the heaviest game. Of course, the new 458 Lott also achieves greater kinetic energy as a result of its higher velocity, and this is also a convincing characteristic for those brave souls in pursuit of the heaviest game.

Despite all the impressive "science" deployed to reinforce the assertion that higher speed projectiles are more capable of inflicting the deep penetration and impact-effect required to reliably anchor heavy game, one finds that these assertions simply do not withstand common sense, repeatable penetration testing. In fact, if one conducts these tests, one finds that there is nothing that can be observed which supports the assertion that the faster one drives non-expanding solids the deeper they penetrate.

Very interestingly, if one takes the Hornady 500-grain .458 diameter solid bullet and compares the penetration that results from impact speeds varying from about 1500-fps to 2500-fps, one finds that the higher impact speeds produce the least penetration. When driven to about 1500-fps (as the 45-70 will do) one finds that such solids produce nearly 6-feet of penetration in wet newspapers. When the same bullet is driven to about 2100-fps (as is characteristic of the 458 Winchester Magnum) one finds that the penetration is reduced to about 4 to 4 and 1/2 feet. When one tests the same bullet at 2300-2400 fps (as is characteristic of the 458 Lott) one finds that the penetration comes up nearly 20% short of that produced by the 458 Winchester. And when one tests the same bullet at the blistering speeds characteristic of the mighty 460 Weatherby Magnum, one finds that the penetration achieved is the most shallow produced by the various 458s.

What is apparent from testing is that penetration stops increasing at impact speeds above about 1250-1300 fps. When the impact speeds significantly surpass about 1600-fps, there is a very definite and measurable decrease in penetration depth. This raises some interesting issues regarding the relationship between kinetic energy generation and impact-effect. Although higher velocity projectiles always generate more kinetic energy they clearly do not produce deeper penetration, and when the velocities reach the levels common to today's magnums, the increases in velocity result in significantly reduced penetration. Simply stated, the faster they strike the faster they stop.
Fortunately for all of us who shoot the 45-70, it can be considered to be the deepest penetrating of the various 458 calibers. This is not due to any particular inherent superiority, but due to the 45-70's "inability" to achieve the velocity with heavy bullets that leads to decreases in penetration. The reasons why high impact speeds reduce penetration are not well understood. However, anyone who takes the time to run comparative penetration tests will find that those of us who pack a good 45-70 with heavy bullets need not take a back seat to any other 458 caliber, especially when the game is heavy and the penetration requirements are great.
- Randy Garrett
One thing not mentioned is that with a bit more velocity it flattens trajectory a bit….. giving a little more easily effective range!

Pushing my 400 grain cast bullets from my 460 XVR @ near 1600 simply makes my effective range around 150 yards…..a lot easier!

On penetration…..John Linebaugh told me the same thing about the best velocity window being in the 1200 range for optimal penetration!

Y'all may find this of interest, it's a test performed by John Linebaugh…..pitting handguns against the biggest and baddest (my description) African rifles! memtb

Just 1 pounders . I'll have to check one place that had RL7 to see if still have. Other place still has 4189 and 760 plus a lot of others. I'll ask buddy tomorrow that works there to check.

I grabbed a 1 pounder several months back. They only had 1's …..so I used restraint, holding out for a 5 pounder! memtb

From another post

- Randy Garrett
Many thanks for your insight and expertise, Randy. As I mentioned before, I have successfully used my M95 Marlin to hunt all over S. Africa and New Zealand and, as you know, there are times when long shots are required. I have made two such absurd unavoidable shots: one a Kudu at 328 yards and the other, my longest shot, a Fallow Stag at 397 yards. Using a Rangefinder in practice, to assure the range, I found out that, even at 1850 fps, that big flat 400 grain bullet drops one foot more, every 25 yards, from 300 -400 yds. The broadside Kudu stood totally still when hit with the first round, and again with the second. When he took a step, he fell over dead. Both bullets, indeed, went clean through. I believe that increased velocity is absolutely essential to reduce the rainbow trajectory to a minimum. The Fallow Stag was hit through the lungs on the first shot and the second one, as he began to stagger off, broke his neck. Again, both bullets went completely through. The exit wounds of all four of those shots, showed very acceptable mushrooming. Actually, the remaining velocity of all four of those shots was probably not more than 1,100-1,200 fps, maybe less. Definitely got the job done.