44 mag input

I missed this bear with my recurve. The aluminum arrow bouncing off the rocks behind him made him run kind of in my direction. I dropped the bow and drew the 3" S&W 629 loaded with 240 gr PMC Starfires my friend had loaned me (hunting in grizzly country) and shot him as he ran past me. He didn't go far. Definitely not long range, but the Starfire worked fine and I would expect the soft point to work well, too.

IMG_1157.jpeg

I missed this bear with my recurve. The aluminum arrow bouncing off the rocks behind him made him run kind of in my direction. I dropped the bow and drew the 3" S&W 629 loaded with 240 gr PMC Starfires my friend had loaned me (hunting in grizzly country) and shot him as he ran past me. He didn't go far. Definitely not long range, but the Starfire worked fine and I would expect the soft point to work well, too.

View attachment 470315
Beautiful bear…..btw I want input on those TCMP bullets

Beautiful bear…..btw I want input on those TCMP bullets
I have shot a few elk with different 44s and I chose bullets that I thought would penetrate. The TCSP looks like a bullet that would really penetrate and I wouldn't hesitate to try it on elk size game. On deer and on black bears the size of the ones I usually run into, I would want something that I thought would open up quicker/better.

I have shot a few elk with different 44s and I chose bullets that I thought would penetrate. The TCSP looks like a bullet that would really penetrate and I wouldn't hesitate to try it on elk size game. On deer and on black bears the size of the ones I usually run into, I would want something that I thought would open up quicker/better.
What bullets have you used on elk? I hunted exclusively with a .44 for several years but that was before I lived in elk country.

What bullets have you used on elk? I hunted exclusively with a .44 for several years but that was before I lived in elk country.
I have used 245 gr Keith type cast bullets on a couple of elk, 240 or 250 gr Sierra FPJ (Silhouettes) on another, and some 300 gr Hornadys on another. I shot one bull with a 3" 629 (mine, not my friend's) but I am not 100% sure of the bullet I used with it.

240 or 250 gr Sierra Silhouette, 6 or 6.5" 629 (I think these are a lot like the PMC TCSP):

IMG_8319.jpeg

3" 629 (240 gr bullet of some flavor, I think Sierra JHP because I had read that they had a tough jacket):

IMG_9837.jpeg

245 gr Keith type cast, 4" 629:

IMG_3494.jpeg

I have used 245 gr Keith type cast bullets on a couple of elk, 240 or 250 gr Sierra FPJ (Silhouettes) on another, and some 300 gr Hornadys on another. I shot one bull with a 3" 629 (mine, not my friend's) but I am not 100% sure of the bullet I used with it.

240 or 250 gr Sierra Silhouette, 6 or 6.5" 629 (I think these are a lot like the PMC TCSP):

View attachment 470326

3" 629 (240 gr bullet of some flavor, I think Sierra JHP because I had read that they had a tough jacket):

View attachment 470328

245 gr Keith type cast, 4" 629:

View attachment 470329
What kind of ranges did you shoot those elk at? Thats really impressive especially with a short barrel!

I shot lots of pmc ammo in 44mag and still use the same brass from the '80s and '90s. None were tchp though. I've gone to Speer dchp in 44mag and 50ae. For the protection you want my choice would be hard cast. Just my choice ad I don't have any experience with dangerous game up close or at long ranges.