Budget Gun Input

Take a look at the Tikka's if your on a budget, with Tikka's you have two camps those that love them and those who have never owned own. Very rarely do you find one in between.

There's Remington fans and there's Savage fans. There's people that own both and there's people that will never buy the other. It's all personal preference.

Shoulder them, shoot them if you can, then make a decision based on your preference. You can read as much as you want online, fact of the matter is that both are fantastic rifles, and both will out-shoot you from the factory. Make a decision based on what you like and what you're comfortable with.

It don't get no simpler than that!

Don't feed him full of false info... I've never seen a gunsmith charge per hour to true a rifle, bed an action, install a barrel, rechamber one, or do a trigger swap/job. They all have set prices for these services. And if your local one charges per hour for these services, that's rediculous. Per hour for repair is one thing, but charging per hour for those other things is rediculous.

And I'm pretty **** sure that regardless of brand, you can replace the stock and install a scope without needing a qualified gunsmith... :rolleyes:

I guess all of my untouched factory 700's that are NOT my customs, will shoot sub-1/2" groups (3 or 5 shots) with handloads...But I guess that's not superior to shooting a 1" lolipop at 100 meters...

Part of my work core competency is activity based costing, whether you're willing to accept it or not, those set prices are based on hourly labor rate --- for calculating labor burden rate and profits or composite rates.

It might be presented as a fixed charge for the service rendered but hourly labor rate (+ other associated costs) is actually factored in.

Part of my work core competency is activity based costing, whether you're willing to accept it or not, those set prices are based on hourly labor rate --- for calculating labor burden rate and profits or composite rates.

It might be presented as a fixed charge for the service rendered but hourly labor rate (+ other associated costs) is actually factored in.

Yes, I'm well aware of that... However, if the gunsmith goes slower and takes an extra hour to blueprint your action, or finish putting things together, he's not going to charge you for that extra hour, if he's already quoted you a price for the build... Which is what I mean by "set prices".

I think savages are the epitome of a budget gun. Hands down the most bang for your buck, but I've found the remmy's to be the better option if you're the type to make your gun yours or you want to explore component options. Savages are very limited compared to 700's, and used upgrades are far far more obtainable for the 700. A 308 will last a long time, might as well make it a pleasure to shoot.

One huge selling point for me on sav vs rem is go work the actions side by side. Compare smoothness and slop, you will leave w/ a 700.... or a tikka hahaha. I have all 3 and I wish a few things A: my sav were 700's B: my tikka had a faster twist.

Knowing what I know now without doubt my first pick would be the 308 milspec and the savage fcp coming in second.

I found a company called red hawk rifles. They sell a rem barreled varmint gun with a BC stock for 920. They also lap the lugs and polish the ramps. Can order a Timney from them as well for $110. Seems like a good option.

Will have to pick up a savage and fell the action. I know most stock 700s seem grainy when working the bolt but that should wear in?

2 can play that game...

12E12E7A-13E3-4B88-A2E0-06B7215E8918_zpsthw7lnop.jpg

Stock savage factory ammo 600yd target copied from the daily bulletin
valday01a.jpg

600-Yard Heart Shot with a Savage and Factory Ammo!
In our Shooter's Forum, Ron explained that this group was actually shot with factory ammo… from a Savage no less:
"This will be one that may be hard to believe for some but it is my Savage 12 FTR .308 and I was shooting 168gr Federal Gold Medal Match. The stock has been modified for benchrest shooting with a 3″-wide shoe on the forward stock. I do not shoot this rifle very often as most of my time is spent with my 30″ Brux barreled 6BR working up loads and shooting. That day I had put the scope back on it and was sighting it in at 600 yards and those were my last three shots after my last scope correction and then I was out of ammo. This rifle has always been very accurate. The weather was good, no wind or mirage."

I'd really watch twist rates, a 1-10 twist rate give a guy the most options. A 308 Win with a 215 Berger is really amazing, I would not go back to a lesser bullet for any reason.
In order to maintain a budget you can't be swapping major parts, handle every one you have on a list and check for how they fit you and check the triggers since we're all difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.