Budget long range deer gun

I haven't been on this site as long as most people, but I have seen threads like this go this same way. Always Chevy vs. Ford. I am a Savage fan these days, have owned my share of Remington's untouched and customized. I was at the range last week and helped a couple of young National Guard fella's with a Remington SPS in .308, have to admit I was impressed with it's out of the box accuracy at 200 yards. With that being said, my Savage's out of the boxes ( all of them ) shot just as well with ease. Chevy, Ford, Chevy, Ford ..... You make the choice. I did buy a Savage FCP in .300 WM last year , boy what a hammer with factory ammo...gun) :)

I was looking at something similar to you except I wanted it for more than just deer. I wanted something for elk and moose as well. I am expecting to have most of my shots under 500 yards BUT after a lot of practice I want to be proficient out to 1000 as well. For 1000 yard shots for me it will be reloading time so I can maximize the rounds performance in my rifle. I too chose to go with Savage for the reasons above. I went with a 300 win mag and I also chose the Bear Hunter which was posted in the video earlier. I just today put the gun on order. If for some reason I cant get a 300wm I will get the 300 short mag. Optics was a harder decision. I have not ordered it yet but am leaning to the Burris XTR II over the Bushnell LRHS because of the warranty that Burris has. The other scope in the mix is a used NightForce NXS. Its the old SFP vs FFP debate. I am leaning to the FFP at the moment. I also plan on getting either the Lieca or the Bushnell 1 mile as well as a kestrel and data book. A rear bag, mat and a good bipod and I hope to be hitting the range as soon as everything is put together so I can start doing load development. My goal is to be shooting proficiently beyond 700 by next fall and hopefully at 1000 yards in 3 years. Again though I fully intend most of my shots to be under 500 yards. I will also be shooting a lot of .223 to 1000 for practicing my skills. Shooting to 1000 seems to be a major commitment and I am looking forward to it! I am sure I am leaving some things out too but thats my starting point. I hope it helps.

I've never been a savage kind of guy always shot a Remington but hey I love imput what savage do you shoot for long range do you recommend a longer barrel than a shorter one

I started out as a Remington man, in fact, I have owned/shot several Sendero's in various calibers, even shot the barrel out on one in 7mmRM. Also had the older VS (Varmint Special's - BDL) in .22-250 and .243 and the newer Varmint Synthetic in .22-250. I loved those Remington's.

Owned a couple of Winchester's too. One, in .30-06, that never shot under 1.5", I GAVE it back to the guy who gave it to me. The other was a short action, heavy barrel in .243Win. It shot real good and accounted for my first groundhog at 600yds. That's really nothing now but I was cutting my teeth. Traded it to VistaBob for another firearm.

Sure, they all shot good. Shot lot's of itty-bitty groups with 'em, but only after a little fussing. I'm sure not all Remington and Winchester's are fussy but I've never heard of, seen or shot one that performed like my current 112 BVSS in 6.5-284 has from the git-go.

The only mod its seen is a stock swap. I swapped with another LRH member who wanted the BVSS stock for his Low Profile Varminter stock. It actually fits me better and I had it fiberglass bedded by a gunsmith in Georgia (Collier Rifles) who specialized in Rem700's.

When I look for a rifle it must have at least a 26" barrel. Most factory heavy barrel's come in that length, some 24" but I stear away from them. Wish they came in 28" or longer.

Probably more info than you needed but thanks listening. JohnnyK>

The hardest part is the base rifle don't really have anywhere around that I could find a used gun so I think im going to have to buy a new one

the hard part is getting a rifle capable, a range finder, a scope, a trigger, and ammo to practice.

Do you reload? If not, do you plan on reloading? I think your answers to these questions will help guide your choice. Where are you and what are going to hunt? I've read lots of posts from people convinced they need a 300 RUM but live in areas where the furthest they can shoot is 300 yards and they are only after whitetails.

If you reload, then the options open up considerably. You can make the ammo for whatever caliber you choose. For 1,000 yards, the .308 is not the best choice. While it can accurately hit targets at 1,000 yards, there are other calibers that will hit the same target with less drop and more energy.

If you don't reload, I would look at the more common calibers. A 6.5x284 round is an excellent choice at 1,000 yards, but at least in the southeastern US, it is an extremely difficult round to find on the shelves. Same for .260, 6.5 CM, and any of the AI calibers. You can find .30-06, 7mm, 300wm at any Wal-Mart, sporting goods store, or country store that sells ammo. All three are very capable of 1,000 hits.

If you ever travel with your gun, it would help to have a common caliber you get ammo for anywhere as opposed to one you have to get online.

"Budget" is such a nebulous term... It could mean $600 to one person and maybe $1,600 to the next. Especially since a lot of people on this site spend over $1,600 on just their scope.

It's good you already have a rangefinder and the reloading equipment or this would be much more costly journey for you.

Many people talk about scope optic's "clarity" like it's the main consideration. Maybe 15+ years ago there was a vast difference between inexpensive glass and high end glass. But many reasonably priced scopes today have decent glass with pretty darn good clarify. IMO, it's as important to purchase an optic based on it's reputation for accurate turret tracking. It just seems to me, that is where the moderately priced scopes really differentiate themselves now a days. Check out SWFA and Vortex also in addition to the scopes already mentioned.

Any of the cartridges people have mentioned will work fine. If it's for deer sized game only, I would probably choose something in the 6.5/260 caliber family. Many advantages of shooting long range at medium sized game with the 6.5's.

Hope this helps.

$2000 is the minimum id think u can get going...and id go this route....caliber selection bases on mission criteria...7mm-08, 6.5 creedmore, 7mm rem mag, 260, etc....then twist rate match up to choosen projectile...then rifle and optics (vortex maybe) and becawe sre being cheap id go with either remmy or savy just bc aftermarket parts are available everywhere and u can upgrade slowly later on...then finally get a cheap reloading kit...to fine tune ur ammo to your rifle....

with a sendero as the basic rifle without a brake it is 8.5 pounds; the long range is 9 and 1/4 or so. if you need more accuracy than that, you can add a barrel later.

I was thinking of a 700 long range in a 7mm Remington

After reading through here, and seeing that you were wanting to keep things to as low a budget as possible, while getting something capable of 1K shooting, this is the exact gun and caliber I was going to suggest.

I think the Remy 700 LR in 7mm is a good choice, I have the same rifle . It's bone stock, except for the Timney trigger and a Vortex Viper PST sits on top. She shoots 3/4 groups at 200 yards with the 175 ABLR. Rifle was .$699.99, not bad.

I think the Remy 700 LR in 7mm is a good choice, I have the same rifle . It's bone stock, except for the Timney trigger and a Vortex Viper PST sits on top. She shoots 3/4 groups at 200 yards with the 175 ABLR. Rifle was .$699.99, not bad.

3/4 MOA groups at 200 yards or 3/4 inch groups at 200 yards?

I assume "inch" but that is pretty darn good shooting with a stock Remy...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.