Budget Gun Input

Csafisher

So I'm looking into getting a budget rifle for LR shooting. It's gonna be a .308 due factory ammo availability (do not reload yet but have friends that do). Max range I can easily access will be about 800yd. I have narrowed it down to a Remmy 700 varmint or savage 110fp. Can get for $600ish. Will put a vortex viper 4-16 on it. Plan on upgrading trigger to a Timney eventually and upgrading the stock to a BC as well.

Any other ideas that may be better?

Yes I've searched and read most of the "budget" threads. Thanks.

For a $600 budget, the 700 Varmint or a used 700P would be about the only guns I could see in that price range.

By the time you upgrade the stock, you're looking around $900... The trigger will need to be upgraded anyway, unless you get a 700P that has the old style trigger in it, in-which case you won't have to swap it out, just have a professional tune it.

But for your $900 you're planning on spending, I'd stick another $200 on that budget and just get one of these...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411540287

You won't have to change the stock (comes in an HS Precision), and they are known shooters. You will still have to replace the trigger, as the XMP triggers are crap. But other than the trigger, these rifles are insanely accurate. I have one just like this, with only a trigger swap, and it's shooting .2xx-.3xx" groups with handloads. I can't guarantee your accuracy, but I also wouldn't recommend a gun I don't have confidence in, either.

on a budget the 700 varmint adl from dicks. if you can get a 700p or a 700vs or 700 vssf; even better. better stock. guns last a long time get a good one., the link mud put is blocked . here. guessing a 5-r . awesome too! i prefer a 30-06 but i reload.

a 700 long range 699. you don't have to get another stock. 200 for scope or reloading equip

I thought about that too. Can get one here for $655. Probably in 7mm

7mm RemMag is my favorite hunting caliber, but if you want something for shooting targets ALOT, it would not be the route to go, unless you don't mind rebarreling it every 1,500-2,000 rounds (or less if you shoot it hot). Barrel life will be significantly shorter than a .308 Win.

If you want a practice/range gun, go for the .308 Win. If you want a great all-around hunting rifle, with the occasional trips to the range for some LR shooting fun, go for the 7mm RemMag.

Either way, you won't be disappointed, I'm just making sure you know what you'll be getting into with whichever of those 2 directions you choose.

You might look at the Savage 10FCP with the HS stock on it from the factory. Savage has a $100 rebate on them right now. The Accutrigger is pretty decent and you can get the spring to take it down to 1.5# from Jim at NSS for $10. It's a little over your budget even with the rebate, but you would already have the better stock and a pretty good trigger.

Hard to beat Savage accuracy out of the box. I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago, couldn't decide between the 110 FCP HS Precision and the Remington 700 5-R / Sendero. I ended up going with the Savage and I'm very happy with my decision.

Adjust the accutrigger down to 2.5 lbs. on your own and skip the trigger job altogether. I went with the Vortex Viper 6-24x50mm FFP as well and am very happy with that decision too... Call Euro Optics and ask for Alex, AJ, or Boyd and they will all hook you up with the rifle, scope, base, and rings. Saved me a lot of money in the long run and they were absolutely awesome to deal with.

Let's see. You asked between the Rem 700 in its various variations, and the Savage 110P.

And everyone recommends the Rem.

Is it really better out of the box? And what if you want to customize it? I understand gunsmiths charge from $75 to $150 and hour, plus custom ordered materials.

And the Savage. You can buy custom barrels and change them yourself. Restock it, add scopes and mounts, and on and on.

And how does the stock 110P shoot out of the box. All I did was add a scope, and shoot lollipops at 100 yards all day.

BUT, its your money. I just don't think an out of the box Rem is superior to just about anything. But I do like the out of the box Savage is a good deal, and very easily upgradable to a very good weapon system with almost off the shelf stuff. And you can do all the work yourself with just a little mechanical knowledge.

Larry
Tinkerer

I would definitely go with the Remington over the Savage because of the available components. You can always keep upgrading a Remington.

You might check into a Remington VLS model available in 308. The laminated stock isn't exactly a McMillan or a Manners, but it's better than plastic. I have a 243 VLS and did nothing but a bedding job for close to $1000. It shoots as well or better than my $2800 rifle.

The other thing you might consider is to keep saving your money a little longer. I saved for at least 3 years to get my first quality rifle/scope. I have a safe full of cheap rifles that didn't cut the mustard.

There's Remington fans and there's Savage fans. There's people that own both and there's people that will never buy the other. It's all personal preference.

Shoulder them, shoot them if you can, then make a decision based on your preference. You can read as much as you want online, fact of the matter is that both are fantastic rifles, and both will out-shoot you from the factory. Make a decision based on what you like and what you're comfortable with.

Let's see. You asked between the Rem 700 in its various variations, and the Savage 110P.

And everyone recommends the Rem.

Is it really better out of the box? And what if you want to customize it? I understand gunsmiths charge from $75 to $150 and hour, plus custom ordered materials.

And the Savage. You can buy custom barrels and change them yourself. Restock it, add scopes and mounts, and on and on.

And how does the stock 110P shoot out of the box. All I did was add a scope, and shoot lollipops at 100 yards all day.

BUT, its your money. I just don't think an out of the box Rem is superior to just about anything. But I do like the out of the box Savage is a good deal, and very easily upgradable to a very good weapon system with almost off the shelf stuff. And you can do all the work yourself with just a little mechanical knowledge.

Larry
Tinkerer

Don't feed him full of false info... I've never seen a gunsmith charge per hour to true a rifle, bed an action, install a barrel, rechamber one, or do a trigger swap/job. They all have set prices for these services. And if your local one charges per hour for these services, that's rediculous. Per hour for repair is one thing, but charging per hour for those other things is rediculous.

And I'm pretty **** sure that regardless of brand, you can replace the stock and install a scope without needing a qualified gunsmith... :rolleyes:

I guess all of my untouched factory 700's that are NOT my customs, will shoot sub-1/2" groups (3 or 5 shots) with handloads...But I guess that's not superior to shooting a 1" lolipop at 100 meters...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.