375 SHERMAN YUKON

That seems like it would be a bit uncomfortable to shoot.
Yeah but the point of this kind of rig is hardly a nice relaxing day of plinking haha.

But I agree. My uncles old rem 660 carbine in 350 rem mag was one of those "kills on one end and maims on the other" types…but living in northern coastal British Columbia it was something of a different sort of "life insurance" and handy and not a burden to pack around with him.

This is like a more modernized design of the same intended purpose I suspect. Probably a good bit more accurate.

Yeah but the point of this kind of rig is hardly a nice relaxing day of plinking haha.

But I agree. My uncles old rem 660 carbine in 350 rem mag was one of those "kills on one end and maims on the other" types…but living in northern coastal British Columbia it was something of a different sort of "life insurance" and handy and not a burden to pack around with him.

This is like a more modernized design of the same intended purpose I suspect. Probably a good bit more accurate.
That makes sense. Not something I have to worry about down here in the south.

That makes sense. Not something I have to worry about down here in the south.
Me neither here in Saskatchewan. Biggest carnivore around here would be a black bear…and while attacks can and do happen it's very unlikely, every encounter I've had with them it's been very obvious they were at least as afraid of me as I was of them, and were no more interested in violence than I was. It's not just size difference (because obviously a black bear is still big enough to make an unarmed human standing much chance a complete joke if they actually wanted to take you) psychologically I think they're an entirely different critter than the grizzly or Alaskan brown bear. Even the way they look at you. Never seen a Kodiak, have seen grizzlies multiple times in my travels…never in a threatening way but even how they look at you seems different to me. The black bears looked curious and cautious. The grizzlys seem to be sizing you up. If they could talk I imagine they'd sound like Dirty Harry … "do you feel lucky? Well do ya, punk?" 🤣

Thanks Rich......here I was about to "pull through trigger " on a 338 mega....and now you throw this in my face! I was wanting something in 375 and have absolutely no use for it or even the 338. But why should that stop anyone?

That seems like it would be a bit uncomfortable to shoot.
Get a JP Tank Brake and you won't feel a thing 👍 One of my 30 Shermans has one, it's more pleasant than 308. Not something I do on everything but I'd really wanted to try one and it fully delivered. The rifle is a tack driver too, just like all the ones I had made with that reamer.

The 30 Sherman mag uses 80-82 grains of powder to push a 245 eol .308 bullet to 2900 fps with a 24-26in barrel. That's long action.

How can this 375yukon, 248 grain bullets go over 2850 fps with a 18in barrel and less powder in a short action? Am I reading that wrong?
To better answer your question, if it was meant to be productive, pushing on the base of a 375 base bullet at the same weight as in a 30 cal, generates a lot more push (velocity) Also, greatly different throating. Hope this helps.

This is a little off the norm for most Sherman designs, but my cousin moved to Alaska and wanted something short and light that packed a wallop. He will be doing a lot of trapping, hunting etc, in bear country, and of course have moose to hunt. I decided to bypass the 338, and 35 bores and go right to the 375 and design it around a mono that you could run out of a Short Action if you chose. I built mine on a Rem 700 SA with a Hawkins DBM and his on a bone stock Tikka.
My 700 has #5 Benchmark 12 twist cut at 17 1/2" with a 3 port Alexander brake. Todd's has a #4 12 twist Benchmark cut at 18 1/2" with the same brake.
I've been testing them for a couple months with 248 HH and 270 SH bullets. The results are pretty impressive for a SA rifle that weighs 7.8 lbs with scope and is only 38 1/2" long. Todd's Tikka weighs 7.2 lbs. I can run the 248 past 2900 with the 248 and 2750+ with the 270. I finished load development for mine today with the 270 SH at 2715 and shot the best group to date at .183" for three shots.
Todd received his rifle a couple weeks sgo snd his son drew first blood with a Yukon on a young Alaskan Black bear. He shot it at 260 yards with a 248 at 2870. The bear was facing him and he shot it almost center chest with the bullet exiting his butt. He said he dropped lifeless with a short moan and that was it! It destroyed about every organ he had he said. Here are some pics of the two rifles and the group I shot today.
Been finding this VERY cool so far, but do have to ask….any plans to try this with the .358 bore? OH! If you wanna do something different that not everyone has done how about a 9.3mm short mag Sherman of some kind?