30 sherman

westcoasthunter

I should be getting my build back soon it's a 30 Sherman with a 28" barrel 1-9twist. This will be my longrange hunting rifle . My question is what bullet would you lean towards for hunting out to 1100yards from deer to elk size game. I have it narrowed down to 225 eld-m or 230 bergers. I have never shot any of this bullets but curious what people would use if it was there hunting rifle . And I will be using N570 as long as it likes the combo

Just keep in mind.... Both of your current choices are not classified as Hunting bullets.
The 212 ELD-x should be plenty, and is a hunting bullet.

I think this would be a great choice for you:
upload_2019-7-30_15-0-0.png

or
upload_2019-7-30_15-4-7.png

215 or 230 Berger. 215 is my favorite and has been field tested on countless elk countless members of this forum. Jeff B. aka "Broz" on here and longrangeonly.com has plenty of real world experience if you search for his posts.

I'm starting to like the Hammer bullet line. You won't get the crazy high BC's of Bergers but they seem to be getting a huge following.

Try both and shoot with confidence Im using the 225s and they seem to be just fine for my needs. Moose, elk, bear, deer.

See which shoots better and run with that

WCH, Isn't the 30 Sherman about equal to a .300 W.M.? I have only been around one that I was aware of and if I remember correctly the gentleman said it was like a .300 WM. It's been a few years and was just wondering.

WCH, Isn't the 30 Sherman about equal to a .300 W.M.? I have only been around one that I was aware of and if I remember correctly the gentleman said it was like a .300 WM. It's been a few years and was just wondering.
The 30 Sherman is a 300 prc improved pretty much. Should be able to run the 230bergers around 3050+ or in that ball park

Look into the 190 gr Cutting Edge MTH, 230 may be really heavy for that cartridge. a 300 Norma runs the 230grs about 2945. So if this is closer to a 300 prc or win mag, you will be slower.

I'd say 230 and 215 Berger. 225 ELDM, and Im taking a hard look at the new 200 grain. Federals. I just picked some up and will try to get some testing done within a week. I should be able to run them up to 3300' since the 215 Berger will reach 3200 but will hope to find a node at 3200-3250'. If you compare out to 1200-1300 yards, they are mighty impressive!
If I dont like them, I may use the 230 hybrid since I can run them at 3050' and like that MASS! Plus they shoot bugholes.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts