.375 High BC bullet casting

I am in the middle of a long range rifle build that will eventually be chambered in the .375 Allen Express whenever I get the money together to send it off to Kirby Allen at APS rifles. Until then I have been trying to get together some different brands of .375 high bc bullets. I found one box of Cutting Edge Match/TAC/Hunting bullets in 350grain weight, and a couple of boxes of Speer 270gr boat tail soft points(not a real high bc), and I have ordered a couple of boxes of the GS Custom 291gr long range bullets #375291sp174. I can't find any 350gr Sierra MK's anywhere, they all are out of stock no backorder. Anyway, I cant help but ask if anybody has ever made High BC, boat tail bullets in a lead alloy cast or maybe casting them in brass alloy? I looked at Corbin for making my own bullets but everything would cost around $3000+ for the presses and dies etc, not in my financial abilities right now. Would a lead alloy, cast bullet be able to withstand velocities in the 2500-just over 3000fps range? The reason I ask is because the price for .375 cal long range bullets is out of this world. I only plan on shooting at steel gongs out past a grand with the gun but want accuracy also. If I decide to hunt with the rifle I will go with the lower bc easy to get bullets like the Nosler's, Barnes, Speer etc. Also, why is it that nobody has cast a brass bullet instead of turning them on a cnc lathe? Just currious here.

Oh, I forgot to tell you my rifle specs. Here is what I have so far in the parts dept.
1. Surgeon 1581XL Repeater action with 338LM bolt face and Accurate Mag 5-rnd mag (3.850")
2. PAC-NOR SS Super Match barrel (1.375x8" Straight Taper to 1.00@30" finish), 1 in 8" twist, 5 land grove.
3. Timney Rem 700 adjustable length of pull Tactical trigger set to 10oz.
4. Terminator T4 muzzle brake.
5. XLR Industries Evolution HD Chassis with all upgrades and modified with two mercury recoil dampers in the buffer tube.
6. Pheonix Over-The-Top low profile, wide stance adjustable bipod.

Hammer Bullets.
We cut a 395 grain that will easily stabilize in an 8 twist. I am currently building a 375-338 Lapua Improved with 8 twist. Expect to get in the neighborhood of 2900 fps. So far, testing is showing bc to be .45 G1 out to 1100 yards. Accuracy if excellent. The bullet is approx. 2.3" long so would have to single fed.
Thanks
Brian

Hammer, the only reason I went with the Repeater action was for bossible hunting with the rifle. I plan on having it thraoted for the long high BC bullets for long range accuracy target shooting. I eventually want to try for 2500yard hits on steel. I will have to check your bullets out though. I guess my whole reason for the post was to see if anybody has ever cast lead alloy bullets in a high bc long range profile, the same with brass alloy casting instead of lathe turned.

Hammer, the only reason I went with the Repeater action was for bossible hunting with the rifle. I plan on having it thraoted for the long high BC bullets for long range accuracy target shooting. I eventually want to try for 2500yard hits on steel. I will have to check your bullets out though. I guess my whole reason for the post was to see if anybody has ever cast lead alloy bullets in a high bc long range profile, the same with brass alloy casting instead of lathe turned.

Lead is out in 375 if you want much over 2,000 fps. you play the game a bit differently with lead than you do with jacketed. My 375h@h will do just over moa with 280 grain Lyman cast flat nosed gas-check bullet made for a 38-55... I load them so the gas check is flush with the back of the neck and they start to engrave the rifling when they are loaded.
They seem to obdurate when they get close to 2,000 fps; that's with a rather hard alloy with added tin and cold quenched. The alloy would destroy itself if pushed much past 2,100 fps in my rifle, and she is a 12" twist.

You will be looking at the smaller makers like Hammer if you want good lr pills for your 375; cast pills are best reserved for mid range work with a straight sided cartridge.

There are rumors of a 360 and 410gr Bergers for the .375. Bullet options for the .375 are going to get better in the coming years.

That is what I was wondering about with the solid lead bullets. I havent had much experience with solid lead alloy bullets except for my .54 cal muzzle loader and it moves at turtle speed compared to a high power rifle round. I was not sure if the lead would deform at that high of velocities. I was also wondering if there was a reason why nobody seems to make cast brass bullets. I know that brass would have to be melted in a furnace but is there some kind of drawback or problem related to pouring the molten brass into a form and making casts, like maybe bubles or inconsistantsies in the casts. I always wondered if it could be done and if it would be cheaper for the home reloader. It would be nice to make my own .375 bullets but for $3000+ for bullet making equipment from Corbin and thousands upon thousands for a CNC lathe it would never be economical. I could buy alot of Hammer, Cutting Edge, and GS Custom pills for $3000. I still might experiment and see if a cast brass alloy bullet could be made. I won't try it on my current rifle build but maybe on an old Sears and Robuck rifle in 30-06 just to see if it would work. I don't know for sure but Barnes solid copper bullets look formed or cast to me.

Thanks for the info but I don't want to jump the gun and go for 500 SMK's, I was thinking more on the 50-100 at the moment. I just ordered 50 394gr Hammer's and I got some GS Custom pills orderd and also some 350gr Cutting Edge pills. I want to test for the best shooting most accurate pills I can find. I do wish that Berger would come out with some High BC .375 bullets because I am a big Berger fan and have nothing but praise for thier bullets.

I don't think lead offers a practical solution to your dilemma. Casting bullets is like reloading, you have to enjoy it for its own merits.

There are custom mould makers with "pointier" designs available. I've seen them in .375 to about 350 grains. I have a 325 grain mould, and it shot extremely well in a #3 .375 Winchester. Never used chronograph with it, but nowhere near your target velocity.

Paper patch might get you a bit of velocity, but in the end I would be in the show me crowd as far as accuracy is concerned.

You're building a high performance system, it's expensive to build, and expensive to keep running.

I would either save the money spent chasing a cast bullet solution, or find a rifle designed with cast bullets in mind.

I am with you on the expensive part and will stick with the bullets that are allready out there for this rifle since it will be a Allen Prescision built one. I would not want to put an expensive built rifle in jeopardy experimenting with cast bullets, I was just interested to see if anybody had ever experimented with casting lead or brass High BC bullets for long range modern chamberings before. I always hear people telling me that this and that can't be done and I want to know why. If casting lead alloy or brass bullets is not the way to go, Why?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.