High BC Bullet Gap

I would like to see a lrab or eldx for the 1-10" barrel. Just a good design would help. I don't need a .700 BC, just what is readily accomplished by adding a more modern design.

Agreed, I think it shouldn't be too much of an ask just to bump the LRAB to 120gr or 125gr. That would make for a real nice long range hunting bullet in the 25cal and should still be viable in a factory 10" twist. I mean, they already make the partition in a 120gr, why not bring the LRAB around for everyone to enjoy? If given a nice high BC hunting bullet like that and a rebarrel, I'd go 1-8" and make a 25-308 IMP, that would be a real nice rig.

After watching this thread we realized that we had a gap in our 25cal offerings. So hear it is designed for an 8" twist. We are fully expecting to retire with all the business from the neglected .25 guys. :rolleyes: Estimate G1 bc at .529

120g .25cal pic.jpg

Snow is finally melting so we will get out and test it soon.

Steve

Dang that's slick, what's the chance it'll stabilize out of a 9" at sea level? I have my new semi custom with a 9in twist 2506, 24in barrel. I can get the 115 to over 3100 pretty easy.

Dang that's slick, what's the chance it'll stabilize out of a 9" at sea level? I have my new semi custom with a 9in twist 2506, 24in barrel. I can get the 115 to over 3100 pretty easy.

It is 1.345" long so at sea level in 9" twist it would have a stability factor of 1.19sg. That is low enough that it would probably not print round holes in the target. 8" twist will give it 1.51sg which is perfect for good hunting performance.

https://hammerbullets.com/product/257-cal-103-g-hammer-hunter/
This bullet is designed for the 9" twist at sea level. I know it is not as heavy as you would like to see but the twist rate just kills the ability to make them heavier. The smaller the bore dia the faster the twist needs to be relative to bullet weight. The factory twist 25's are more hamstrung by twist than any other caliber with their 10" twist. There are some smiths that think putting faster twist on is bad. I had a customer the other day whos smith told him it was a bad idea to go faster than 10" on his new 25cal build.

Any of you guys thinking about re-barreling should consider a 7" twist. That would be relative to an 8" twist in the 6.5's.

Steve

I hate to say it, but I sure wish I'd have known about this about a year ago. I'd have gone 1-7" without thinking twice. I had a cut rifled barrel made because I couldn't find any barrels by anyone that had a 257 faster than 1-10" twist. Maybe next time around, but for the next 1500rds, I'll have to stick with the regular bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.