35 mm tube IOR's

Re: 35 mm tube IOR\'s

Jeff,

I'm getting twice the scope for hundreds of dollars less than leuy's I've purchased in the past.

What scopes are you comparing the prices on Jeff?

Maybe I missed it, but the the IOR scopes I looked at were all at, or over 1k, so I wondered which ones you're refering to.

Magmaniac,

I had an issue with my 4-14x50 tactical, contacted Valdada and he replaced the scope no questions asked. 10 day turn excellent service.

For the record, what issues were you having with your scope we might want to know about?

Anyone, Jim,

Is there any problems with these scopes that seem to be a reoccuring theme?

How much total elevation do the new 35mm tubes come with for the 24x and 36x?

Can someone describe in detail the tic spacing calibration on the MP-8 reticle, I'm still not clear on it. If it's one that is in the 2nd focal plane, what power is it calibrated at?

The NF NP-R2 I use is 2 MOA on the vertical post and 5 MOA on the horizontal post, and 3 out of 4 are calibrated at 22x, as all are in the 2nd plane and vary with the magnification setting used, as most of you already know.
smile.gif

Is the IOR MP-8 reticle a step up, or down?

Brent,

Great hearing from you, how's life up in Alaska? Snowed in for the season yet?

My old IOR scope had a slightly oversized tube around 31mm and my badger scope rings pinched the tube. There was no internal damage to the scope so IOR was reluctant at first to fix it or replace it.

Jim Maloney worked with Valentine at IOR and I recieved my new scope today, though I upgraded. I went from the 2.5-10 tactical illuminated MP8 reticle to their fix 10X with side focus tactical scope. This scope is an all steel tube.

The MP8 reticle is basically mil-dots except it uses hash marks instead of circles or football. There are also smaller half mildot hash marks between the larger mildot hash marks. Depending on the scope and model, some reticles are in the first focal plane, others are in the rear.

I have a leuy 10X Mark 4 ($1100.00) and a brand new 6.5-20X50 LRM1 tactical with Premire Reticle 2nd Gen Mil-dot which ran me almost $975.00. This new scope was almost 40% cheaper than the Mark 4 and the clarity and light gathering capabilities of this new scopes optics really put both leuy's to shame.

I haven't mounted it yet, I waiting to pick up my new lefty version AR-15 in the next week or so. By the way this new scope tube measures a nice 30mm dead on.

Can't wait to go play once I have everything mounted and put together.
grin.gif

Brent,
I'll see if I can answer some of your questions. As far as prices, the most expenive scope I have is priced at 899.00.

Reoccuring problems? Not that I'm aware of, a while back I know there was a few 6-24's comeing back with complants that they wern't holding zero. But that was only about 5 or 6. Aside from that I'm not aware of any persistant problems.

I don't really know any details about the 9-36x56 but I'll ask next time I talk to him.

The MP-8 reticle is in 1/2 Mil tics both vertical and horizontal. The second focal plane models are cal. at 10 power. I know this isn't in detail but I really haven't had a lot of experience using it in compitition style shooting to intelegently comment on its usefulness. I don't know if it's a step up or down. I guess it would be up to the individuals perferences.
confused.gif

Jim

Jeff,
Just snowed on the 11th and now it's down to -5 deg F, so I'm not shooting right now.
grin.gif

Glad to hear you really like your new scope! I'm a little interested in the new 9-36x now.

Jim,
Any reason for those scopes not holding zero? Any more info on what they found, and what they did to fix it would be highly appreciated.

Have you got a price list for all the scopes? Any idea what the 35mm tubed 9-36x will run?

If all the second focal plane scopes are calibrates with the tics at .5 mil (1.8 MOA), moving the power setting to 13x would change this to 1 MOA tic spacing.

For me this would be easier than the mil spacing, and better in some ways than my R2 reticle. Cranking it to 26x would give a guy 1/2 MOA tic spacing and this would be nice for ranging and measuring up animals and such.

The 35mm 9-36x will be calibrated at 10x also?

Will is be offered in the second focal plane as well?

I appreciate all the help.
smile.gif

Brent,
I don't know why those 6-24's had came back and further more that is one of the reasons Val sent his nephew to Romania to be trained in optics repair. He didn't know and couldn't tell why they weren't holding zero, or if there was anything wrong with them in the first place.

The price on the 9-36x56 hasn't been set yet, but I'm betting it will be around $1200 - $1400 list price. I have know idea what I could sell it for.

As far as the tic spaceing. The 2.5-10x42 tactical is avalible as first or second focal plane. The new 4-14x50 is only avalible as second focal plane. I believe the 6-24x50 is only first focal plane. I don't know what the 9-36x56 will be. The trend is turning toward the second focal plane, but I really don't know. I'll see if I can get some more info.

-5 deg. F, glad I'm in Kansas.
Jim
smile.gif

Ok all, here is the last little bit of info I could ring out of IOR on the 9-36x56. It will be offered in MP-8 and probably a couple other reticle options. It will be only second focal plane. It will have 60MOA of adjustment. It will be on display at the "Shot Show" Feb. 15-20. He told me if I wanted to know more, come to the shot show. LOL
grin.gif

Jim

Just some update info on the Night Force specs, and general comments.

All NP R2, RR, DD' are in the more desirable first focal plane.

They are all factored @ 22x, except for the 3.5-15x50, and 3.5-15x56.

First focal place recticles are much more accurate for both 'Ranging', and especially for 'Bullet Drop Compensation'. They're more desirable by knowledgeable shooters, as compared to second focal plane.

It is more complicated, and expensive to design a correct system in the first plane.

Once the basics are understood, and simple math applied, it is easy to use them.

Don't get fooled by oversized tubes, a great marketing idea. Many are just that with internal spacers. They can hold larger lenses, but that doesn't mean that they're really are worth it.

Extra adjustment range can very, very easily degrade sight picture as the light beams are bent too hard, not controling the light, and it 'washes out'. That's one reason why higher end optics have internal stops. Specifically designed into them.
Need more adjustments??? Use a different mounting system.

When I see the words "Schott glass", that just means it came from Schott. There are literally hundreds of glass types, and thousands of lens (element) combinations.

For those of you who like to play, take some surveyors stands, place some different scopes by different companies on them.
place them in the sun, with 95 degree temp, and high humidity. Scopes must all be the same finish, the same class, and basic power range.
Set a Naval resolution target at 100 yds, have the scopes set at 'optical center', put the reticle on the target center.
Starting at 10AM till 2PM every 20-30 minutes check the reticle for 'walking'. You'll be very surprised at who doesn't walk.

[ 11-19-2003: Message edited by: Guns & Glass ]

I was thinking of doing a comparison for my scopes..
i would like to know where can i find that chart.
I live in S Florida so high humidity and high temp is not hard to find
grin.gif

All NP R2, RR, DD' are in the more desirable first focal plane.

Fist focal plane? The crosshairs don't change "with" the image on my NF NXS 5.5-22 R2. Mine and all the ones I've looked at are in the second focal plane, which modifies the tic calibration when changing power settings.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.