338 ultra ? dead or still being used?

Thread right up my alley as i am planning on building a couple .338's. I really luv our 300 RUM's but was thinking i would go the the 338 Lapua, as i figured the commonality and source of components would be better??? Maybe not , eh? What are most using for actions in either the RUM of Lapua in 338? barrels?

Why not step up to the 338 edge? you can either neck up the 300rum or can get brass from Bertram or ADG head stamped 338 edge.

338 RUM was one of my first long range rifles. Or what I thought was long range way back then. Capable of hurling 180 grain accubonds over 3600 fps for short range rounds that will seldom see a deer size do anything but fall in their tracks.
And it's also a very formidable long range gun. In one of my questionable R&D sessions testing a 27" krieger barrel, I reached 3000FPS with 3000 grain SMKs. However this is not something I would recommend.
I've not played with this rifle in many years. Now, with the better options in brass, I may have to break it back out and warm it up!

I would think the 338 Ultra would be a great long range hunting cartridge for Large game. Is anyone still using it or has the Lapua and 30 & 338 short mags made it obsolete?
I've been using 338 for about 25 years great medium to long range caliber , been using Sierra game king 225 gr Remington brass , IMR 4350, need to up grade optics but have her dialled in to hit 3in gong at 300 yds! Punches through deer and great dropping power on Moose,Elk, and Bear!!

I use mine every year for elk. I originally purchased it in 2000 and have since totally redone it. Hart Barrel, Painkiller muzzle break, Manners EH1 stock, Jewel trigger and Leupold Mark4 scope. I'm currently shooting 300GR Berger's with 84.5gr of Retumbo just over 1/4" MOA. Works good for me!

It is far from dead.
It is the ballistic equal to the 338 Lapua and can be used in many actions that the Lapua should not be used. It will fit the standard magnum bolt face and has the optimum powder capacity. More capacity will/may get you more velocity, but at what cost and efficiency.

Only the most dedicated long range shooters that look for 1400 +yard shots need more that the 338 RUM can deliver and if truth be known, most hunters will never get or take a shot that long.

This is a case of less is better for most.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Wow, way more feed back than I expected from everyone! I built one up 15 years ago on a M700 with a Hart barrel. I had aspirations of a big game hunt with it some day and it still has not happened. I already have a lifetime supply of ammo, brass and bullets, but good to hear components are still available.

I've got my RUM in various stages of completion. I poured over specs, bullets, brass and powders for a good long while before I decided. For most practical purposes, with modern bullets and powder, the 338RUM meets or beats the lapua for less money. It'll run the same weight bullet, from the same length barrel at the same or better speeds. The, you aren't stuck with a lapua sized action and bolt, just a good standard magnum long action. In the little I've shot mine, I was running 300gr SMK's at a leisurely 2850 from ADG brass with 8133 powder. No signs of pressure. Good sized case, efficient, lots of bullets and can be built on a magnum standard action, what else could you want?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.