whats a better round 338 ultra mag or 300 ultra mag?

whats a better round for hunting around 300 or 400 yrds. 338 ultra mag or 300 ultra mag?

I have to agree with most of the comments here. You dont need either of these cartridges for hunting 300-400 yds unles you are hunting are large and dangerous game. The 308 Win is a great cartridge, but I personally would like to shoot an elk size critter with some just a little more potent at 400 yds. A 30.06 or 300 WSM would do you fine. IMO, the 300 WSM is about an 800-1000 yd elk killer depending on load and elevation in case you decide to stretch your legs a little farther someday.

To answer your original question, the 338 will make a bigger hole and likely kill a critter a litlle faster than the 300. But.... It will also have greater recoil which might require a brake. Some guys like brakes and some dont. My rifles are carry rifles and if I need to make a quick shot I wouldn't look forward to the noise of a braked muzzle without ear plugs and having a brake at the end of a muzzle catching brush. Just something to think about. We all have our own hunting styles and preferences.

-MR

Last edited:
I didn't see what everyone else said, but if I were you, I'd go with the 300 win mag for 400 ish yards.

A difficult question to answer and here is an example. I have two different kinds of Elk in my area. Rocky Mountain and Roosevelt. The difference between a small rocky and a large Roosevelt can be 500lbs. We kind of polarized into two different camps of practice and thought. The most common rifles in the High cascade hunts are the mid sized 30 caliber magnums. While in the Roosevelt camps there is an extremely noticeable high percentage of the larger .338. Rifle recommendations are largely based on terrain as well as species of game animal. Which one do you feel will best suit your needs and enable you to present yourself as a complete package for your hunting requirements. Its pretty easy to check around your local area and find out what is actually the preferred cartridge, it might not even be either of the two mentioned.

I will also add that i have a 7rem mag that is great gun for taking down elk up to 800yds but i just bought a 338rum because i wanted a gun that is more accurate than my 7. Also keep in mind that ammo for the bigger callibers will run about 2x as much.

I would go with a 300 win mag for that distance instead. Hell, even a 308.

I know this thread is dead but just thought I'd throw in my $.02 for small game and varmints I tend to stick with the 50 and for big game I generally feel safer carrying my 20mm howitzer. :D

Keep your 300 and 338 Ultra's....

I shot my 6x6 Bull Elk with slight hold over with standard factory, 200grn, Winchester Ammo out of a standard Ruger M77, stainless 338 Winchester Mag.

In the right shoulder...bulging to exit, just under the hide on the left shoulder: 550 yards!

Keep your Ultra's and good luck finding a box of ammo [$50+++], if you can even find them at a deep woods sporting goods shop...

The best one is the one I have in my hands with a huge animal in my sights and accurate enough to hit it in the right spot. All the rest is personal prefference. Technically and logically the 338 RUM is the best and gets better as the range increases. I have used both to take animals beyond 1000 yards and they both worked according to the animals but they didn't have much to say after shot with either.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.