whats a better round 338 ultra mag or 300 ultra mag?

pdbsa

whats a better round for hunting around 300 or 400 yrds. 338 ultra mag or 300 ultra mag?

I am biased towards the 338RUM since I have one. I will assume you are talking elk or similar large critters. I would say that it boils down to how much lead at what diameter you want to sling at the animal. The 338RUM is capable of shooting a 250 gr bullet at 3000 fps, and the 300RUM is capable of shooting a 200 gr bullet at 3200 fps. At 300 to 400 yards, the 300RUM should shoot a hair flatter, and both rounds should deliver similar energy levels. Out past 400 yards, the higher BC 30 cal 200 gr bullet will shoot flatter and retain more energy. The 338RUM can be loaded with 300 gr bullets, but there are no widely available reasonably priced bullets of this weight designed for hunting. Some guys shoot the 300 gr Sierra Match King with success on elk. Hope this muddies the water a little for you. I'm sure others will chime in as well.

I cast my vote for neither. These are two super hot rod long range boomsticks and are deadly at 4 times the ranges you mention. If you are only talking about going to 400 yards, you would be served well by a 308 for most critters up to and including elk if the right bullets are used and placed where they live.

Like the proverb says: Don't use cannon to kill mosquito.

If going really far out there may be in your future, the 338 ultra will put a 225 grain bullet out at 3200 and carry 2000 ft/lbs to 1000 yards at 5000 feet elevation which will serve you well. It also has better barrel life.

I can agree with GG on that one. However, If you must have a big boomer, I prefer the 300 RUM at the 1K+ line. Out to 400 yards, it will make no differance whether it is 338 or 300. The fact of the matter is, the 338 case is slightly smaller. However, with its larger bore and increased burn area, bullet weight for bullet weight, the velocities are identical. Personaly, I would rather shoot the 200 ACCUBOND with a much higher BC at higher velocities than the 225 ACCUBOND. .590 vs .550 I have found these BC's to be close to the real world.

It is going to boil down to personal preferance, but at 400 yards, why beat yourself up and burn out those barrels??

I'm with GG on this as well. I woulnd't use an Ultra Mag if I knew my shots were only going to be at max 400 yards. You buy an ultra mag to shoot it at farther then normal ranges. 300-400 yards is still standard cartridge territory. Pick any 270, 308, or 30-06 and its a 400 yard cartridge for elk with right bullets and shot placement, no magnum needed here, not even an ultra mag. With that aside, I have a 300 RUM. Its for long range elk and bears out to 800 yards if need be. I like the 30 cal for longer hunting ranges because it shoots a little flatter and hits a little harder. If your worried about bullet mass or want a heavier slug, then the 338 would be hard to beat. I would rather take the 200g ab with a higher bc at 3200fps then a 225g with a lower bc at the same speed. At long range, it just doesn't add up.

[ QUOTE ]
I cast my vote for neither. These are two super hot rod long range boomsticks and are deadly at 4 times the ranges you mention. If you are only talking about going to 400 yards, you would be served well by a 308 for most critters up to and including elk if the right bullets are used and placed where they live.

Like the proverb says: Don't use cannon to kill mosquito.

If going really far out there may be in your future, the 338 ultra will put a 225 grain bullet out at 3200 and carry 2000 ft/lbs to 1000 yards at 5000 feet elevation which will serve you well. It also has better barrel life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect advice

I have actually found the 225 grain 338 AB to have a bc of .568 on several different outings and the 200 grain 308 ab to be .580 once and .588 another time.

So plugging those in the program, the 300 ultra is about 4 clicks flatter at 1k, 3-4 clicks better in the wind, but less energy and probably 30% worse barrel life. ANd if you improve the 338 ultra to a 338 thunder, then it actually surpasses the 300 ultra in every category (but just by a few clicks is all) and still about 20-25% better barrel life. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But I know that isn't up everone's alley.

Either way, they are both good, no, great long range performers!

I'm working on phase II of a 338 project. Started w/a 338Win shooting 252WCs @ pretty much RUM velocities. GG said it was an explosion waiting to happen. (Don't think so, must be a loose bore or something. Shot super). It will be sporting a 338 RUM bbl in the next week or so (after a long wait).

It will be the elk killer for this season. It'll be ready for the 1K shot if necessary but from my GIS scouting of the area 1K will be exceptionally long. 5 to 800 may be more reasonable.

Will be shooting 252 RBBT WCs. May be a bit more of a rainbow traj. than a 300 RUM but if I hit where I wish it will work.

Sure hope it shoots as well as the 338 Win barrel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

We'll see what phase III is, or if it is necessary, which would be a Thunder or Edge.

what kind of scope and which brand of barrel should i use on this gun i'm planning on building

For either cartridge, but preferring the 338, I'd consider a 28" barrel length. Definitely no shorter than 26" and as long as 30 for the "what the heck is that" factor when at the range.

Scope? Depends on your funds and taste/wants. I'd think that glass quality and type of retical would be most important. One that I would at least consider would be an IOR with the MP-8 reticle,

Each rifle has a different purpose the 338 RUM is a fast 338 caliber buller would be good for those big bears and the 300 RUM is a fast 30 caliber bullet good for long range shots at Elk or deer or Caribou. They are great rifles I own them both.

I own both, they are my only big game rifles and I have had lots before them. I use the 300 for antelope and deer sometimes and sometimes I just use the 338. I shoot 180 gr accubonds out of the 300 @3250 and 225 accubonds out of the 338 @ 3300. In my case the 338 out horses the 300 at every range. But the bigger thing is that when hunting in GRIZZLY country, the 338 gives me more piece of mind on immediate stopping power with a heavier bullet!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts