338 ultra ? dead or still being used?

For a hunting rifle where weight is a factor, the 338 RUM does everything I could ever ask. My fully set up rifle including optics weighs about 8.75 lbs. I shot a good 6x6 bull elk last fall at 1127 yards with the 270gr ELD-X.
That's light enough to carry around the mountains and heavy enough to shoot well at long range. I can fit a couple of bullets down in the magazine box too.

Last edited:
I made my muzzle brake out of an old military Mauser barrel. It has four ports on the top and sides. Every one who has shot my rifle said that the recoil was not bad. I bought my SPS stock from CDNN for around $30.00. My total build cost around $500.00. The action was trued and the recoil lugs were lapped to insure total contact with the reciever. I did all the machine work. Nice fairly light weight hunting rifle.

How does the chassis handle heavy recoil? Not asking about durability, but asking in reference to felt recoil transferee to the shooter?
The chassis does really well. No issues with any deformation around the attachment points. I was using XLR chassis' on several rifles, but they were just too heavy for hunting. I use Accurate mag RUM mags for it.

I see several folks mention the ..338 edge. I almost went that direction.....but, finding ammo off the shelf isn't going to happen, and I approached R Bros...frankly, I didn't like their attitude, or their prices.

The 338 RUM is alive and well! Have a Christensen Arms in a Carbon One Custom (what they call their Summit TI). Carbon thumbhole stock.. Purchased in May of 08' they weren't doing a "mass" production like now. Have several customs from different Builders, but this one is my favorite large magnum, as well as the most accurate. .416" on a 5-shot string. Loves 250 grain Accubonds! But to be honest, it loves Barnes and Berger's too! No problem in finding brass or even manufactured ammo either.. not bad as far as cost IMO..

They're accurate and carry a pretty big thump, nothing I've ever pointed it has ever taken a step... they don't run, they drop! Just the way I like it!
Good Shooting & Good Hunting!

For a hunting rifle where weight is a factor, the 338 RUM does everything I could ever ask. My fully set up rifle including optics weighs about 8.75 lbs. I shot a good 6x6 bull elk last fall at 1127 yards with the 270gr ELD-X.
That's light enough to carry around the mountains and heavy enough to shoot well at long range. I can fit a couple of bullets down in the magazine box too.

Just Awesome. I'd consider that the accomplishment of a lifetime! What a shot!

I guess that answers the question.

The shooting public normally decides if a cartridge lives or dies, And in spite of Remington's lack of support for brass and ammo there will be many 338 RUM's in use for decades.

It is simply a great cartridge.

J E CUSTOM

Thread right up my alley as i am planning on building a couple .338's. I really luv our 300 RUM's but was thinking i would go the the 338 Lapua, as i figured the commonality and source of components would be better??? Maybe not , eh? What are most using for actions in either the RUM of Lapua in 338? barrels?

Sincerely appreciate the info and sorry for my delay in replying. Reading the comments above I am definitely thinking RUM over the Lapua. Thinking a proof research CF barrel 28" or maybe 30", with brake. I am looking for a top notch precision action but no need to be fancy. Your thoughts? Muchly appreciated

I love my rums also. Have had all but the 375 rum chamberings. The 338 rum is a hammer. I also have a 338 lapua. Both are 26" tubes shooting the 285 eldm outta both. Rum is 2870 fps and the lapua is 2905 fps. The rum takes 89 grains of retumbo and the lapua takes 94 to get there. The rum and lapua both have a 4" magwell also. And the 4" magwell is a MUST in my opinion for both especially with the big heavy long bullets. I like the 338 lapua for the lapua brass but thats about the only difference. Rum is a lightweight hunting rifle and lapua is a desert tech srsa1

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.