338 ultra ? dead or still being used?

Gryphon

I would think the 338 Ultra would be a great long range hunting cartridge for Large game. Is anyone still using it or has the Lapua and 30 & 338 short mags made it obsolete?

It's a shame that it didn't become a hit, like it should have. It's pretty popular here, but, we're not your average Jo Smo. Many folks are intimidated by the .338 WN, the 338 Ultra is beyond comprehension by many hunters/shooters! It and the .375 Ultra are both great "any" range hunting cartridges! memtb

I think it is more popular than most realize. Waiting on parts to finish mine,and as we speak there are excellent choices for components .
I put together a long distance .338 RUM earlier this year with a Northern Action, and Bartlein barrel. I had a 15lb .338 Lapua that looked great, but just couldn't be toted around. If you take a look at the ballistics charts, the .338RUM is right in the same class as the Lapua. For $1.50 to $2.25 per round for the decent stuff, it's half the price of Lapua, and much easier to find tipped with proper hunting bullets. Not everyone is shooting long distance competition and sending rounds downrange at $5-$7 a pop. I'm very, very happy with my choice. Now....time for a suppressor.

The Hornady bullets will not penetrate at 338 RUM velocities. I've had failures with the sierra and Hornady, shed jackets, etc.
Best all around are the Barnes triple shock, probably 225 gr tipped in your case. They are extremely accurate and absolutely reliable. Load them about 0.06" off rifling and you can get around 3100 fps if you load to an overall length of 3.58". My most accurate loads were with Norma mrp but you can experiment with powders in that burn rate range.
Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.