338 Twist ?

R.Morehouse

I am building a 338 Lapua Rogue in a single shot for long range target shooting. I will be looking to shoot the 300g target bullet that shoots best out of it. I have not yet picked up a barrel and was looking for advise on the length, twist, and preferred type of rifling and # of groves... and brand you may have had best success with. Thanks for your input.

Regards
Rick

Every 9.35" twist Krieger I've seen has been a sub 3/8" gun and most would shoot closer to 1/4". Mine, in a Edge, will shoot in the .1XX" if I'm up to it. You don't need a 9.35 twist for 300gr bullets though, a 10 twist is plenty. Berger even says the optimal twist is 10.5" for their 300's. I've also used some 9.4" twist Benchmark barrels that were amazingly accurate for the weight. I built a Edge on a #6 fluted that shot 5 3 shot groups between .150" and .500" the first time it was shot. I'd pick the Krieger if I had to choose though.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts