338 Edge Twist

Triple BB

What twist do you guys recommend for a 338 Edge. I'm looking at a Proof CF and see they list 9.4 as their apparent standard for the 338. I'll be shooting a Berger 300 grn bullet.

no such thing as standard in a custom rifle.
it is base on the bullet selection, distance and possible sonic transition,

What twist do you guys recommend for a 338 Edge. I'm looking at a Proof CF and see they list 9.4 as their apparent standard for the 338. I'll be shooting a Berger 300 grn bullet.
Triple BB,
The 9.4 twist should work just fine since the OPTMAL barrel twist we list , based on 59 degrees at sea level is 1-10. To see what you may really need though. Run your data through the BERGER TWIST RATE CALCULATOR. Base your choice on the LOWEST ALTITUDE you will be hunting at!!! A 1.5 SG (stability factor) or slightly higher is where you want to be.

9.4 will stabilize the 300 in just about any conditions (altitude, temp) all the way down to 2500 fps and -20 below at 0 altitude where a 10 twist will have to be kept up in the 2700fps range above 20 degrees f at sea level . I shoot a 10 twist on both an edge and a RUM but i very rarely see colder temps than 20 degrees

Mine runs a 1:10" twist just fine.
The larger the diameter the slower the twist can be for optimum spin rate speed.
I can run 300Gr Bergers without issue.
Sure a 9.4" or even a 9" twist will work, but not necessary.

Cheers.

I have used 28 .338 EDGE barrels with twist rates of 9,9.3, 9.4,9.5 and 10. All would shoot 300 grain Bergers well. I live at 488 ft. above sea level and shoot in temps of 20 to 100 degrees F.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.