twist rate and barrel length for .338 edge

killitgrillit

Howdy all,
Been lurking for a longtime and just joined in, so hello to all.
I'am going to build a .338 edge and would like some opinions on what twist rate and barrel length would be best?? I'am looking at shoot bullets in the 250-300gr range.
Thx

I don't have any info or experience with the .338, but I do know that a bullet that heavy would require a faster twist in order to stabilize the bullet the best for good accuracy. I would go with a barrel at least 24 inches in length.The .338 might need a length longer than that, the owners of the .338's will chime in and let you know about that part.

Welcome to the site! :)

You will find a wealth of info here on the 338 Edge. Dont be shy of the search function. ;)

Most guys here using the Edge are running 28-30" of barrel which most of those are running 30" A few are at 26" IMO, 28" is minimum and 30 would be better. (I am running 28" 10x)

A 10x will stabilize any of the mainstream 300 grain bullets such as the SMK, Berger, Scenar etc....with room to spare. 10x is very poular. Some guys use 9.3 for the 300 grain pills. If you ever want to run some ofthe heavy mono metal bullets you may need a 9 or 9.3 but of you stick to the readily available 300 grainers or lighter, 10x will do just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.